• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monthly Budget

7 posts in this topic

What are people averaging for buying coins these days? Is the government sequester hitting anyone yet? As for me, I currently average about $1,000 a month in collectibles, some investment put aways, some just because I like. Lucky for me, the whole government thing nor wall street doesnt affect me or my monthly checks (retired military and VA disability). It would be interesting to see what people are planning and if they have cut back on purchases.

I have income from multiple sources - job in financial management, some pension income, and occasionally teaching evening accounting classes.

My savings goal currently is 20% of income with about half going to my coin business (which will be my full time post retirement occupation). I have taken tables at shows since 1990 and operate online. Generally at a show I will have one case full of nice certified coins and USM products then the other case contains US (certified) and world currency.

My goal is to buy coins and currency I have a good chance to do well with and move quickly in the near term. Consequently, I have to be selective in my buying.

My budget is scaled way back over the last year, but not due to a shortage of funds - that's something I've always had to deal with lol ! Rather, it's more a shortage of time. I just don't seem to have much spare time at all these days to browse the bourse floor and find coins for my collection.

Luckily, this means my funds are going to pay off other bills :) .

This year it will be very scarce. Daughter starting college in the fall, probably moving in the summer...basically my budget is only how much I sell off I can reinvest.

No budget. I'm OK working with the "if there is something I like and I can afford it at the time it is for sale then I'll buy it" budget. Admittedly not the wisest way to collect, but it's rare I haven't been able to get what I wanted. Usually it's I have the cash, but there is nothing for sale that excites me.