• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My spotted 2005 ASE ms 70 NGC

14 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 2005 ASE ms70 graded by NGC. The coin is spotted on both sides. Does NGC guarantee the coins they grade? It obviously happened post grading , can I send it back?

I have heard several differing opinions. I appreciate any input.

You can check here. Or read below.

"The NGC Coin Grading Guarantee does not apply to coins exhibiting environmental deterioration subsequent to certification. These issues include but are not limited to spotting, hazing, PVC, and corrosion."

Lance.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate that. I've been learning a ton from all you long time collectors. This forum has a wealth of info. I'm hooked!

The MS/PR 70 market maybe taking a hit if PCGS/NGC decide not to honor their guarantee on these.

Are white spots that develop after slabbing truly environmental damage?

IMO NGC nor PCGS should be on the hook for poor QC at the mint. What ways are there to prevent this as a collector? Acetone dips? I know a lot of these goe in without even being opened for grading so I dont see how it can be prevented other than the mint getting their spoons together.

Hash, how many of your ASE in you set developed spotting? I'm getting a little nervous investing so much $ on ms 70, so called perfect coins. I was also reading somewhere on this board that NGC replaced someone's ASE that had developed spots post slabbing. I'm going to send in my 2005 ms 70 for evaluation. Stay tuned.

Change in policy September, 2012...milk spotting not covered

Sucks....

How can you blame either NGC or PCGS for something that is obviously caused by the Mint, and they can't even figure out why. For all we know, it is due to improper processing from the comany that supplies the planchets to the Mint. (If that is how they are acquired.)

Chris

(If that is how they are acquired.)

It is, The mint punches their own blanks from strip for outside suppliers, but the Cent, sometimes dollar and all precious metal blanks come from outside suppliers. The Mint supplies the gold and silver and the outside company processes it and returns it as blanks. i don't know if the mint does any further annealing or washing of the blanks after they are returned or if they are press ready planchets when they come back.