• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What size coins do you like best?

126 members have voted

1. 1. What size coins do you like best?

22 posts in this topic

Quarter and larger generally. A major coin sales huckster made the argument that $20 gold coins have everything it takes for wide appeal and therefore are the most marketable. The $50 slugs are too big; like the Hummer or Chevy Suburban of coins, they lose aesthetic appeal with increased ostentation.

$10 early gold as well as Bust dollars are the most impressive to me with the usual collector criteria.

I like double eagles but I also have numerous California fractional gold coins and their tiny size is part of their charm (pun intended). They give me a chance to use my Zeiss loupe which makes them look huge.

I can't really say that I prefer one size over another. I just like nice examples of the coin. A lot of collectors don't like very small coins because they it is too hard to see the devices on them. Since I've always been near sighted, that has never been a problem for me.

As a type collector you end up with more small coins that large ones. As I was building my set I amazed at how many coins I needed from half cent to dime for a complete type set.

I know that most collectors prefer big coins over small ones, but with my Spanish colonial pillars, I far prefer the minors to the pillar dollar. I like them a lot more because they are almost always scarcer or much scarcer and harder to find in the same quality and sometimes cannot be found in any grade.

This past week, Spanish auction firm Calico sold a 1769 Bolivia 2 reales that I would have graded AU-55. But I did not know if it had problems and have grown tired of this happening when I buy raw coin in this series. It is the only high quality specimen I have ever seen of this issue whereas for the 1769 Bolivia 8 reales, I have seen it many times in higher grades.

Life sized, for sure. I don't care much for shrunken coins.

I hate it when my wife washes my coins and they all shrink. :smile:

As a type collector I appreciate all coins from the tiny 16mm Swiss quarter ducats up to the 45mm Swiss Shooting Medals.

But there is nothing like the feeling of a St. Gaudens double eagle or a $10 Indian eagle in the palm of your hand. It takes your breath away.

Ill go for dimes. They tend to get beat up less than the bigger coins and tend to come in higher grades.

I do like the quarters too though!

Ahhhh....coin shrinkage.....all this time I thought inflation and devaluation was responsible for the shrinking dollar.... Turns out its because HiHoAudio's wife hits the hot water button on the washer too often.... The White House economist might like to know about this....