• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a planchet and if so what kind

14 posts in this topic

It is the same diameter as a penny but this thing is really thick compared to a penny. I figure if it was pressed out with a die it would really expand it would seem.

Maybe it is not a planchet but a magnet does nothing for it just like a penny.

134848.jpg.956577f9a357465aee5db95ca40b4cbf.jpg

134850.jpg.c199e66bdd9b32d3c37946e699cbf22a.jpg

134851.jpg.18f8d480256faa1ddf0d11a4ece2c2d5.jpg

134852.jpg.d7f89dc9ccd21fd61912865c577b7eae.jpg

134853.jpg.6f5ac5273a2d6a43b4ddeab0ee872f56.jpg

Yeah it is 2 1/2 times thicker than a penny as that picture shows but I wonder what else it could be. It is the exact diameter of a penny.

I have had that thing around here for years and thought that it might be a planchet but I have always been confused on the exact size. Maybe someone knows a little more about how and what size they are prior to being struck.

Looks like a cut copper rod or similar. You can actually see where it was cut on the face by whatever method was used, like a cutting wheel. Doubt it was on a lathe as it would be more smooth. Not a product of the mint in my opinion.

I see what you mean. I uploaded a couple more pics. Your probably right and it's not from the mint but just coincidence that it is the exact same diameter as a penny.

I don't even know if it would hold any value if it was a planchet.

Thanks for the opinions. I think you fellas are dead on. I guess I can throw it in my catch all container for things that I just can't part with yet have no use for. :grin:

Just to seal the deal, think about it like this; if a cent planchet were that thick to start with, where does all that extra metal go when struck? To compress the planchet to the same thickness as your comparison cent, the coin would have to end up with a high relief of Lincolns head that would look like a 3D hologram....

Just to seal the deal, think about it like this; if a cent planchet were that thick to start with, where does all that extra metal go when struck? To compress the planchet to the same thickness as your comparison cent, the coin would have to end up with a high relief of Lincolns head that would look like a 3D hologram....

That's what a cent looks like before Obama takes his cut.

Just to seal the deal, think about it like this; if a cent planchet were that thick to start with, where does all that extra metal go when struck?

Yeah I thought I said exactly that in my initial question..... Oh yes I did.

where did you find it?

Don't remember. Been so long ago.

Thought maybe it was from some place that made private coins or maybe there was an old copper coin that was produced that was about twice the size of a penny since when you stamp it it would spread. I never thought it was for a penny. I was asking what kind of coin it might be from based on the assumption that it was copper and was from the mint. I probably found it at some machine shop that I had used years and years ago and had just now become aware of planchets.

I'll put it on eBay and sell it ..... Hell some will buy anything on there.