• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please post your monster or attractively toned Liberty Walking Half Dollar

67 posts in this topic

some nice toners in the thread, they tone in a really unique way. Almost a grunge effect. I originally started off putting together a set of toned WLHs but was discouraged by the lack of earlier dates coming toned. Mostly all the toners are 1935-46 and thats when I moved to the toned Peace dollars.

Not to detract from any of the coins posted here (many of them are very attractive) - but monster toned Walkers are rarer than hen's teeth. You sometimes find attractively toned Walkers, you sometimes find very attractively toned Walkers. But I've never seen a Walker that I would describe as a monster.

And that includes the ones posted in this thread.

Not to detract from any of the coins posted here (many of them are very attractive) - but monster toned Walkers are rarer than hen's teeth. You sometimes find attractively toned Walkers, you sometimes find very attractively toned Walkers. But I've never seen a Walker that I would describe as a monster.

And that includes the ones posted in this thread.

I would agree with this in principle. Besides I detest the word monster and have never used it to describe a coin. My favorite Walkers in my set I didn't list in this thread just because there is no way to capture them in a photo. In hand another story. For sure higher multiples then Morgan's.

Did you check out Evan's Walker on his site? I agree with his assessment on that coin.

As far as where the hen's teeth Walkers are. I know where most of them reside.

MJ

I see a few in this thread I would call monsters (thumbs u

I agree. Thank you everyone for posting such gorgeous examples. I would be hard pressed to pick a "favorite" among those pictured. This thread really helped and it was exactly what I was looking for.

And that is the problem with displaying pics of Walkers. Toned Walkers with lustre are almost impossible to capture by camera and I consider you one of the top photographers in the business.

MJ

Lehigh thats a beautiful walker. Whats interesting is that kool aid drinkers will say AT!!!!!!!!!!!!! because its in a NGC slab but if its in a PCGS slab, its automatically NT

Lehigh thats a beautiful walker. Whats interesting is that kool aid drinkers will say AT!!!!!!!!!!!!! because its in a NGC slab but if its in a PCGS slab, its automatically NT

I dont think I am a kool-aid drinker as all my fav coins are NGC but that is 100% AT in any holder and I dont think Mr Lehigh is showing that off as one of his own. He has been a little less coy in calling my coins AT than he is with this one but I am pretty sure that is what he is tongue in cheeking with that post.

Mumu, it could be AT'd but what I'm trying to say is that a lot of times, you see a monster toned coin in a NGC slab and so many people slam it as being AT and how NGC slabs AT coins but then when you turn it around and PCGS does it, not much is said.

Ankurs CBH is a good example.....I bet if it was in a NGC slab with gold sticker, there would lots of talk ATS,etc about it possibly being AT.

Mumu, it could be AT'd but what I'm trying to say is that a lot of times, you see a monster toned coin in a NGC slab and so many people slam it as being AT and how NGC slabs AT coins but then when you turn it around and PCGS does it, not much is said.

Ankurs CBH is a good example.....I bet if it was in a NGC slab with gold sticker, there would lots of talk ATS,etc about it possibly being AT.

I agree there's a bias. But in he case of that coin rightfully so. I dont think that would make it into PCGS plastic nor NGC today.

I have always thought that PCGS's perceived tighter standards were more to do with PCGS being too tight than NGC being too loose. Based on my interpretation of the ANA grading book, it always seemed PCGS basically tried to make MS 67 pretty much the top grade one can hope for. Granted I realize older coins arent really going to reach ms 69 and 70 levels but seemingly completely clean coins make it into 65 holders and the ANA book has some leeway for the 65 grade that PCGS just wasnt affording it, but seemingly afford to VIP submitters(conspiracy theory i know). In any case, it seems to me that since the move to the prong holders, the standards are less gapped.

I can say with relative certainty that from my observations and from submitting coins... NGC is currently being much more conservative when it comes to MA toned coins.

I dont think I am a kool-aid drinker as all my fav coins are NGC but that is 100% AT in any holder and I dont think Mr Lehigh is showing that off as one of his own. He has been a little less coy in calling my coins AT than he is with this one but I am pretty sure that is what he is tongue in cheeking with that post.

Sorry, but I think that's an ugly coin, and AT. And I don't care what plastic or stickers it may or may not be wearing.

Nice read! BTW, I only think one of your coins is AT and it is extremely attractive and in NGC plastic, so it really makes no difference. Just like my Appalachian Jeffersons.

This Walker was sold by Anaconda over 5 years ago, and it resides in an NGC MS65 holder.

WalkingLibertyHalf1940NGCMS65.jpg

Totally based on the pics. So much for NGC getting it right. Now that grade/pass IMHO is a total abomination. This coin displays terminal toning,10 to 1 o'clock on the Obverse, as well as the iridescent spectrum. I don't think that is achievable in the natural universe without some help.

Simply said, you can't go from a thick deposition of sulfide (terminal toning) to a thin deposition without a transition area.

Carl

This Walker was sold by Anaconda over 5 years ago, and it resides in an NGC MS65 holder.

Totally based on the pics. So much for NGC getting it right. Now that grade/pass IMHO is a total abomination. This coin displays terminal toning,10 to 1 o'clock on the Obverse, as well as the iridescent spectrum. I don't think that is achievable in the natural universe without some help.

Simply said, you can't go from a thick deposition of sulfide (terminal toning) to a thin deposition without a transition area.

Carl

I think the coin is NT and just for the record there isnt any terminal toning on that coin. Kenneth has a great example of Black spectrum to 3rd cycle and its textiled out.. I have wanted to get that coin from him for a very long time. I just cant see why everybody think the toning is AT

Carl

I think the coin is NT and just for the record there isnt any terminal toning on that coin. Kenneth has a great example of Black spectrum to 3rd cycle and its textiled out.. I have wanted to get that coin from him for a very long time. I just cant see why everybody think the toning is AT

Does anyone know what era holder it's in?

MJ

Carl

All that I can say is that it's a great looking coin AT or NT.

Carl

MJ

Suspect it toned inside the holder?

Carl

MJ

Suspect it toned inside the holder?

No, just curious if this coin has a star designation. If not, why not. The era could explain why not. MJ

edited to add NOBODY brings out more in a coin then BK. His glamour shots are without equal.