• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Treasury $20 original wrapped roll of peace dollars

20 posts in this topic

The roll should be worth approximately the sum of the individual coins, with or without the wrapper. And there is no assurance regarding the quality of the coins, even if they have been wrapped, as is, for many years.

I am not sure $2K from apmex is a good deal

there was a similar on eBay that did not meet reserve at $1K

$100/coin seems like a gamble to me

I tried searching to see about rolls and when that type was invented - could not find, but I think their story about being rolled in 1922 is not correct.

I am not sure $2K from apmex is a good deal

there was a similar on eBay that did not meet reserve at $1K

$100/coin seems like a gamble to me

I tried searching to see about rolls and when that type was invented - could not find, but I think their story about being rolled in 1922 is not correct.

To me, $100/coin is a (big) sucker's bet. Chances of the coins averaging that amount in value, are extremely remote. It's that simple. ;)

Looks to me that one end of the roll is loose, which means to me it was an original roll at one time but now has 20 commonly uncommon Peace dollars and would be worth about $600. I'm talking about the end with the tails showing.

Looks to me that one end of the roll is loose, which means to me it was an original roll at one time but now has 20 commonly uncommon Peace dollars and would be worth about $600. I'm talking about the end with the tails showing.

Even unquestionably original rolls are rarely of nice enough quality to make them worth $2000.

You have a MUCH better chance with unopened pack of baseball cards from the 50's and 60's............ and those are very long odds.

MJ

Is this thread a rerun? I swear the exact same thread made the rounds a while back, same pic of rolled coins also..........I think

I think you are remembering the Carson City Trust rolls of Morgans with a CC showing on 1 end.

What does one expect to find in the roll, that would not be available in hundreds of dealers' cases - and for less money?

What does one expect to find in the roll, that would not be available in hundreds of dealers' cases - and for less money?

I think it's the wishful thinking/greed factor - a bargain. Though the odds are strongly against it and sellers who appeal to that desire, can make a killing. A lot of people think or hope they can beat the odds. Of course most of them can't. or the odds wouldn't be what they are.

They say that back in the day, you could expect to find one MS66 in every 20 ROLLS. Let's assume that this is THAT roll.

You would have one ~ $400 coin, and 19 other $40 coins.

So with that wishful thinking, you have $1200, certainly not a good ROI.

Thanks for all the input and I agree with all of you,especially already being popped. I was most interested in the feedback concerning the roll itself, whether or not it was what the treasu ry issued. I do find it interesting that most view these as what's in them instead of what they are in. To me if it was a unpopped roll that it would carry a premium for being in mint issued condition, granted not a hundred dollars a coin premium. I don't know but maybe these things are common as dirt like the modern stuff in rolls today are that was also why I mentioned how common they are. I think even if this roll was legit there is just to much skepticism around these to make them collectable.

Nick