• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advisory

38 posts in this topic

Well it looks like us folks here in the northeast are bracing for a major snowfall. Please don't venture out unless you really have to. This might be a good time to find out where some of my fellow collectors are from. I'll start. I am currently residing in the Capital Of New York, Albany.

I live in Morris County, NJ (northwestern NJ). Only 10-16 inches forecast for us. I feel bad for our friends in New England some of whom are supposed to get 3 feet.

At least I get to work fom home today :whee:

The weather service pushed the panic button with a vengeance today and as a result schools and libraries did not open with what, a few inches of snow on the ground? What are people supposed to do, hunker down and cower, as they stay glued to their tvs awaiting official reports? This is no way to live and is frankly unworthy of a free people....

I had packages to ship and finally found one Staples with a work station so I could print out my shipping labels, etc.. The post offices were undeterred by all the dire warnings of impending calamity.

I've lived in Georgia and California. Call me crazy, but I missed snow when I was living in those states.

Nothing quite so peaceful as a being outside during a snow storm when the flakes are huge. It deadens all the sound.

Now where is that shovel?

I live in South Florida. Yes we have occasional hurricanes, but 99% plus of the time, paradise. Today high 82 low 72, weekend mid 70's. I've never missed a snow storm---just out of luck. :cool:

All kidding aside, my heart goes out to anyone having to face this winter onslaught. I hope it's short lived and makes as small an impact as possible. Best wishes for everyone in the New England area.

Carl

I grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan and survived more than a few snow storms.....I now live in Carmel California. :cool:

When I want to go snowboarding I pack up my gear and drive to the snow. I love it....but I also love being able to leave it!

This is a great place to live but I do get a little nervous when the ground starts shaking :o

Hope everyone rides out the storm safely in the NE!

I grew up in Montana and plan to return when my military service is over. 2 feet of snow in Montana is just another day...in the North East it's a national dissaster...

I grew up in Montana and plan to return when my military service is over. 2 feet of snow in Montana is just another day...in the North East it's a national dissaster...

No offense to the 25 people who live in Montana, but when a blizzard dumps 2 feet of snow on 25 million people, yeah it is a disaster.

No offense to the 25 people who live in Montana, but when a blizzard dumps 2 feet of snow on 25 million people, yeah it is a disaster.

Lived in DC and Boston for 8 years and had several of these happen during those times, I really enjoyed these big snows that shut the cities down completely. Even had a snow in DC once of that nature that kicked off the electricity for several days. It was fun and we hunkered down, put the frig goods in the snow, used candles, a backpack stove to cook, and had a great time. Don't miss northeast weather one iota tho' but do miss Montana, 'tis a spectacular piece of country as its population of 1,005,141 (as of July 2012) can attest for.

And yes the weather has been spectacular here this winter, tennis or cycling every weekend, grilling, and the azaleas are blooming this week. (shrug)

Best, HT

I got my x-country skis out of storage and look forward to using them for exercise. Snow is great for kids and is a positive blanket of purity over the bleak winter landscape. On my to do list, x-c ski the Catamount Trail in Vermont in winter, around 300 miles; I have already done parts of it, one great section is from Bolton to Mt. Mansfield which is mostly downhill, around 15 miles doable in an afternoon. Also the Highland lodge in Greensboro to Craftsbury outdoor center, also around 15 miles and a great XC.....

It was intense, power stayed on, drive way is clear and the driving ban will expired in 6 minutes! the roads are clear from what I can see from my little walk, so i think I will take a ride and check out the town!

Ah that hurts...lol. BTW, I'm number 17.

I hope you all survive unscathed. I was supposed to be in Syracuse for three weeks but budget cuts got me. Wish I was there to enjoy the storm. I really miss snow.

States in northern New England known for snowstorms do not issue proclamations banning travel or even criminalizing it as Boston's mayor did. I believe in natural law; people will usually follow actions that will advance their self-interest not jump off the cliff to their demise. Probably the official pronouncements have value to discourage irresponsible actions, but by doing so today, the governor made it virtually impossible for popular businesses like Starbucks, McDs, Dunkin Donuts and the postal service to open. Anyone who stands in the way of reasonable business and free market activity is contrary to the advancement of the commonweal and natural law IMO.

Also we have this new storm naming system by the weather service. I look forward to a superstorm named after Moby or the Pequod....

The governor's actions were intended to prevent irresponsible and unnecessary road travel, and to give the highway crews the opportunity to clear to worst of the snow. Neither "stand in the way of business and free market activity" any more than other acts of common sense for the commonweal.

BTW - The NWS does not, I believe, name this type of storm. That was a gimmick from the private, commercial and self-promoting "weather channel."

I can see conditional bans or discouragement of travel (east of I91); with planes this is a life or death matter, but four wheel drive vehicles? I have seen Range Rovers literally -footing over a stray branch or fallen bit of wood on the roadway, do these people pay $$$ for safety or for image and prestige? And the postal service that has vowed to go forth in due diligence as an intrepid agency of necessary deliveries that all collectibles dealers and collectors rely on as well as people upon whom necessity depends?

I don't want anyone hurt, and the statistics generally reflect drunk driving and generally incompetent driving when injuries occur.

States in northern New England known for snowstorms do not issue proclamations banning travel or even criminalizing it as Boston's mayor did. I believe in natural law; people will usually follow actions that will advance their self-interest not jump off the cliff to their demise. Probably the official pronouncements have value to discourage irresponsible actions, but by doing so today, the governor made it virtually impossible for popular businesses like Starbucks, McDs, Dunkin Donuts and the postal service to open. Anyone who stands in the way of reasonable business and free market activity is contrary to the advancement of the commonweal and natural law IMO.

Also we have this new storm naming system by the weather service. I look forward to a superstorm named after Moby or the Pequod....

You say the governor made it impossible for people to go to Starbucks, I say the snow is what made it impossible.

234421d1360451069t-blizzard13-1.jpg

BTW, those are 4 wheel drive jeeps you are looking at.

Having been in many snow storms, I loved the 24 hour driving ban. The roads (at least in my town) are perfect. None of that icy sludge left. Not to mention it forced my District Manager to send us home. She said we should stay open normal hours because the storm isn't "that bad"...SHE WAS IN CHICAGO!!!!!

anyway...

Ha ha, that's pretty funny. But I must say I agree with mtnstyne, I am from Salt Lake City, Utah home of the greatest snow on earth and with the lake effect from the great salt lake I have seen A LOT of snow dumped down in a very short time and can still not even comprehend a 100% driving ban.

I have been to Boston Mass and I can say those people can barely drive with the sun shining so I guess the ban was for the best.

Nick

Ha ha, that's pretty funny. But I must say I agree with mtnstyne, I am from Salt Lake City, Utah home of the greatest snow on earth and with the lake effect from the great salt lake I have seen A LOT of snow dumped down in a very short time and can still not even comprehend a 100% driving ban.

I have been to Boston Mass and I can say those people can barely drive with the sun shining so I guess the ban was for the best.

Nick

Salt Lake City has a tiny population over a huge land area. Do I really need to explain the concept of population density and how it impacts driving conditions?

And you guys are acting like the people who live in Massachusetts dont know anything about snow. I got news for you, most areas of Connecticut and Massachusetts average over 40 inches of snow per year. And if you are talking about lake effect snow, Salt Lake City doesn't hold a candle to Syracuse, NY.