• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagles / General Question

13 posts in this topic

I have a few silver eagles and was looking to invest in more, but I'm not really sure what the best way to go about it is. I realize that everyone has different opinions about these, so by seeing the different points, I believe it'll help make it easier for me to make a decision.

If there are other topics that might help out, don't reinvent the wheel, just point me in the right direction ;)

I'm looking to invest in silver rounds, but I'd also like something with a little numismatic value as well as bullion value. One of my problems is deciding if I want a slabbed MS70 and pay 2X+ what I'd pay raw, or buy something that's still uncirculated, and in an airtite for $39. Granted it's graded, but if it's fresh out of a roll and into an airtite. I'm seeing it as; why get 1 when I can get 2 for the price of 1.

In a slab, will these hold a collector value even if silver crashes or will it cost the same as a raw for it's melt? Now, I'm sure the slabbed would still hold a few dollars more, but is it worth it for these coins?

Thanks!

I buy both, one as a hedge against the other, collectors value has nothing to do with the bullion price, if silver goes through the roof, and higher than numismatic value, congratulations, you have slabbed coins worth melt, if it goes in basement, your slabbed coins still retain numismatic value.

for new eagles you are better off buying MS70's. the 69's are worth around 55bucks, give or take. At about 2005? and back the 70's get expensive.

JMHO

George

Personally, I pick up a roll of BU eagles every year as trading stock and keep 5 or so on my collection. I also get 2 proofs which I have on subscription from the mint. I don't worry too much about grading them; I am not convinced its worth the money to do so. I am also one of those guys who like OGP, so slabs are always a bit of a disappointment for me. Picking them up on the secondary market, I would say I agree with George; get 70 grades and the first strike labels if you can as long as you can do so without paying too high a premium. The resale on the labels and the grades seem to always find a buyer somewhere.

Basically you need to determine what you want out of these coins. Do you want a silver investment only or do you want some numismatic value as well?

1) Silver play: buy tubes or raw and put them away for safe keeping. I've looked around at many dealers of the bullion coins and I buy from APMEX.

2) IMO, rounds will be harder to trade later on, so you'd be better off buying silver bars.

3) If you buy slabbed, MS70 or PF70 best potential for numismatic play due to huge mintage of these coins.

Joe

I myself have a different preference in the eagles I collect. Raw!!! I have a few graded, but I'm not real big in the slabbed eagles. I have quite a few in OGP which I think hold thier value pretty well. As far as grades 69 & 70 go, I don't think they are a whole lot different than each other. Maybe a few dollars. The 70 eagles tend to show a good premium over 69 but as a few years progress, the values between the both seem to get a little closer. I guess it's mostly in what you want to collect them for. Jmo

If you're looking for a pure investment as you indicate in your post, I would go with tubes of ASEs. (20 coins per tube). They will be the cheapest over melt. If you want to get one or 2 graded I would go with the 2006-W and/or 2011-W as they are the dates with the lowest mintages and more likely to become the "key dates" in the series.

They are bullion, I would buy them that way. Just think about it...there will never be a top pop MS70 variety that is actually rare. If you are going to collect the MS70's just buy them slabbed already and let the big boys absorb the grading costs.

Thanks guys. I'm considering getting a roll to put away or to use if I ever need to make a trade, and buy a few slabbed here and there. Either that, or I'll buy 1 raw every time I get a slabbed. Right now, I'm eyeing a 2006 W Burnished and 1 2011 S pair PF70 Cameo and PF70 Reverse. I want to get a few nice slabbed and I really like the looks of those. The burnished 2006 demands a pretty good premium though ($224BIN/OBO), so I'm not sure about that one. The proof and reverse proof would be cool just to have an example of each.

I appreciate everyone's input.