• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with this proof penny?

10 posts in this topic

This is a teletrade auction and it's in a problem free NGC PF63 RB holder. So what's up with the reverse color, or lack of? Is this common?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

c34161231-1b_w2560_zpsb5c74cc4.jpg

c34161231-1a_w2560_zps5ed19826.jpg

guess it turned in the holder? happens...........Ive seen proof 70 2008 gold buffalo sets in PCGS turn and it looks like the poor buffalo got chicken pox. My friend owned a set and when he bought it, it didn't have that until a few years later

It looks angled, at the very least inside the slab and maybe then the slab too, creating an angle that hides the red? I admit it does look a weird white from that pic but proof coins tend to look different at different angles.

If the coin is in an old NGC no line fatty that would explain it...if it's in a more recent holder I don't have a clue unless the coin was dipped etc before submission and turned in the holder as was mentioned. hm

If the coin is in an old NGC no line fatty that would explain it...if it's in a more recent holder I don't have a clue unless the coin was dipped etc before submission and turned in the holder as was mentioned. hm

Very new slab, cert # 3225273-002.

As been mentioned, turning in the holder I get the obverse but have never seen a turned penny like the reverse. Strange for sure.

Nick

This is a teletrade auction and it's in a problem free NGC PF63 RB holder. So what's up with the reverse color, or lack of? Is this common?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

c34161231-1b_w2560_zpsb5c74cc4.jpg

c34161231-1a_w2560_zps5ed19826.jpg

It may have a yellow tint, but it looks like an over-exposed image.

Many Lincolns from the 60's in mint sets and 70's proof sets gradually tone silver like that. I have one MS coin from '64. They're quite cool in hand and tend to bring good money for a common Lincoln.

Sometimes this type of silver toning can be very pretty ... both of the examples below made it through PCGS Secure Plus grading where the coins were sniffed for illegal chemicals.

Not entirely sure what causes this toning color exactly ...

BTW .. I am not fond of the look of the coin in the OP though (too spotty)

TVBlack_1963LincProof.jpg

TVBlack_1959LincProof.jpg