• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recovering illegally removed items (theoritical)

9 posts in this topic

Since the case for the 1933 gold double eagles has set a precedence, I have been wondering if there would be a case to recover all the series 691 and 701 Military Payment Certificates (MPC)?

Knowing the folks who have custody of the remaining inventory I seriously doubt they would ever pursue it. It is more likely that they would send them to a GSA sale.

Thoughts anyone?

the 1933 DE litigation has not been decided, as yet.

I guess I need to stop getting my news from Yahoo...I thought I had read that was done but I know you are much more credible.

How about the 1913 nickels? they didn't make the mint directors report did they?

Just another example of selective government.....these should be just as illegal and yet nobody has ever tried to confiscate them :makepoint:

Many things made at the mints do not make the annual reports.

In the past there were a couple of instances where mint director attempted to declare certain pattern pieces "illegal." Each of those attempts blew up in the directors' faces.

It is human inconsistency, and attempts to impose presesnt conditions retroactively that create these situations.

How about the 1913 nickels? they didn't make the mint directors report did they?

Just another example of selective government.....these should be just as illegal and yet nobody has ever tried to confiscate them :makepoint:

I agree, and what I don't understand is why the burden of proof was put on the owners of the 1933 double eagles. So as long as there was a viable possibility that the coins escaped legally, as the expert testimony suggests, then the burden was clearly on the government to prove that the coins were illegally obtained. I don't understand why the judge did not overturn the jury verdict. Hopefully the circuit court of appeals will reverse.

In the case of the MPC's there was no chance they escaped legally, I think the difference is that they are looked at as just printed paper. The curator actually told me at one point they considered sending them to DRMO and selling them are the value they would hold for recycling...