• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PayPal Gift

23 posts in this topic

It's against forum selling rules to ask for paypal personal.

what if there is an option? ie paypal +3% or paypal gift?

6.List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

yes, understand, great for ebay to not use gift, but here among friends?

I purchased something using personal paypal from a boardie I considered trustworthy. Item never arrived and seller disappeared and I had no recourse because I paid using personal paypal.

I have used pp gift before, though I understand why not to do so. I also think the forum rules are completely appropriate.

In my view it is equivalent to shipping coins without insurance - most of the time no problem and you save a bit of cash; but when there is a problem...man do you feel like a fool for trying to save $5.

Peope can agree to do paypal personal privately. It's just against the rules to list as a form of payment in the FS thread.

Very sorry about your financial loss, and no doubt it was also a loss in feelings of trust, and painful to you in many other ways. Thanks for telling us about it. For the sake of protecting the rest of us from that particular dishonest person, please provide as many details as possible, thanks.

I purchased something using personal paypal from a boardie I considered trustworthy. Item never arrived and seller disappeared and I had no recourse because I paid using personal paypal.

There are two basic categories of PayPal payments:

Fee Methods: These methods involve a small percentage based on the total value of the transfer, and the volume of transactions that you execute using PayPal. Amounts usually range from about 2.2% or so to 2.9% (most sellers will incur the latter). There is also a small initial transfer fee of $0.30 or so per transaction. With regards to the individual methods on PayPal regarding goods and services and what not are meant for the preparation of your tax forms. This is incredibly complex and the odds of it mattering to you unless you are running a large business are miniscule. In short, you are responsible for sales taxes on the sales of goods, but not services, etc. Also note that the fee methods come with PayPal buyer and seller protection.

Fee Free Methods (e.g. PayPal gift): These do not come with PayPal buyer and seller protection and are meant for what the service level is entitled: it is meant for gifts only. Often sellers will attempt to take advantage of this and have funds "gifted to them." Aside from ethical ramifications and no fees, there is little downside for the seller. For the buyer, however, there may be problems. First there is no PayPal protection, and second, if the transaction is large enough to warrant legal remedies, it is unclear to me whether a judge would enforce a contract/ monetary transfer that is labeled as a gift. If anyone knows of any cases in which this has occurred, I would love to see it.

Yep! I think the reason Arch has made this a rule, is because paypal gift for goods is ripping paypal off.

The added benefit to this rule is, buyers here, will be better protected.

makes sense to me, maybe if buyer and seller just split the diff

That's what I typically try to do with my posts, or I'll ask (with some exceptions) the buyer to pay 1% of the purchase price towards the PayPal fee and I'll eat the other 1.9%. Alternatively, I'll just include it in my price (as I have done with my current BST listings). I also accept personal checks provided that they clear and I have used this method as both a seller and buyer on the boards.

Sending as a gift is something that I do only with my buddies. Wouldn't do it with someone that I haven't had numerous previous transactions with.

Andy 2c

Very sorry about your financial loss, and no doubt it was also a loss in feelings of trust, and painful to you in many other ways. Thanks for telling us about it. For the sake of protecting the rest of us from that particular dishonest person, please provide as many details as possible, thanks.

It's likely that the seller was over in the Comic Book sales section. You probably would never bump into him ever in your life.

Andy

There are two basic categories of PayPal payments:

Fee Methods: These methods involve a small percentage based on the total value of the transfer, and the volume of transactions that you execute using PayPal. Amounts usually range from about 2.2% or so to 2.9% (most sellers will incur the latter). There is also a small initial transfer fee of $0.30 or so per transaction. With regards to the individual methods on PayPal regarding goods and services and what not are meant for the preparation of your tax forms. This is incredibly complex and the odds of it mattering to you unless you are running a large business are miniscule. In short, you are responsible for sales taxes on the sales of goods, but not services, etc. Also note that the fee methods come with PayPal buyer and seller protection.

Fee Free Methods (e.g. PayPal gift): These do not come with PayPal buyer and seller protection and are meant for what the service level is entitled: it is meant for gifts only. Often sellers will attempt to take advantage of this and have funds "gifted to them." Aside from ethical ramifications and no fees, there is little downside for the seller. For the buyer, however, there may be problems. First there is no PayPal protection, and second, if the transaction is large enough to warrant legal remedies, it is unclear to me whether a judge would enforce a contract/ monetary transfer that is labeled as a gift. If anyone knows of any cases in which this has occurred, I would love to see it.

If the payment was large enough to warrant legal remedy if something went wrong, it likely would have caught the attention of someone at PP and probably been questioned. I would never try PP gift for something like $5K.

Secondly PP gift is merely a form of payment. If there is other communication/documentation that you and I were agreeing to a deal on a coin for $5K it would be hard to imagine that a judge would see that as a gift situation.

makes sense to me, maybe if buyer and seller just split the diff

That's what I typically try to do with my posts, or I'll ask (with some exceptions) the buyer to pay 1% of the purchase price towards the PayPal fee and I'll eat the other 1.9%. Alternatively, I'll just include it in my price (as I have done with my current BST listings). I also accept personal checks provided that they clear and I have used this method as both a seller and buyer on the boards.

If a buyer wants to use PP as a convenience, I see no reason why buyer shouldn't be expected to absorb the fee for same, esp. now that merchants [in many places] can charge a fee for accepting CC payments.

As a seller I build the CC fees into the price of the item. If your going to offer the service you should be willing to cover the fees.

As a buyer I skip right over any seller that is not doing the same. I refuse to pick up the fees both ways.

Just my humble opinion

As a seller I build the CC fees into the price of the item. If your going to offer the service you should be willing to cover the fees.

As a buyer I skip right over any seller that is not doing the same. I refuse to pick up the fees both ways.

Just my humble opinion

If the buyer initiates the PP interest, then IMO the fees are on him.

Sending as a gift is something that I do only with my buddies. Wouldn't do it with someone that I haven't had numerous previous transactions with.

Andy 2c

One time, a guy from another country sent me 35 $100 bills for a box of collectibles. (worship)