• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charleston Coin show report

24 posts in this topic

Very brief report.... mostly because there wasn't much going on at the local show this time. This show is held twice a year, and unfortunately it seems like every time the show gets smaller and smaller - less dealers, and less shoppers. I keep going because my sister enjoys it, and she can usually find a couple of Mercury dimes for her folder (she is 16, and I'm teaching her about the hobby).

Some highlights of the show: Island Point was there as always and had a couple of cases of really nice toners. They also had a good group of gold (including rattlers, a pair of doilies, some Charlotte, and a handful of gold CAC stickers). Another dealer had a really nice 1836 Reeded Edge in AU-53. The coin was gorgeous, original, well struck, and priced strong. The 1836 Reeded Edge is a really difficult coin to find, so I was pleasantly surprised by that.

I was able to make one purchase, a raw Morgan. I liked the look and color of it (except for the minor fingerprint on the reverse), and I was able to get a good deal on it. So, guess the grade (and the price I paid, if you want), on this Morgan:

IMG_9990_zpsffb00364.jpg

IMG_9998_zps4c15b34f.jpg

MS64 and $160..............GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Capped Busts and Mercury Dimes :cloud9:

I was planning to go to the show last night with my son but found out that my grand daughter would be paying a visit today to priorities being what they are we didn't make it.

I would guess you paid $55 and would guess MS65. Looks pretty clean (thumbs u

Very brief report.... mostly because there wasn't much going on at the local show this time. This show is held twice a year, and unfortunately it seems like every time the show gets smaller and smaller - less dealers, and less shoppers. I keep going because my sister enjoys it, and she can usually find a couple of Mercury dimes for her folder (she is 16, and I'm teaching her about the hobby).

Some highlights of the show: Island Point was there as always and had a couple of cases of really nice toners. They also had a good group of gold (including rattlers, a pair of doilies, some Charlotte, and a handful of gold CAC stickers). Another dealer had a really nice 1836 Reeded Edge in AU-53. The coin was gorgeous, original, well struck, and priced strong. The 1836 Reeded Edge is a really difficult coin to find, so I was pleasantly surprised by that.

I was able to make one purchase, a raw Morgan. I liked the look and color of it (except for the minor fingerprint on the reverse), and I was able to get a good deal on it. So, guess the grade (and the price I paid, if you want), on this Morgan:

IMG_9990_zpsffb00364.jpg

IMG_9998_zps4c15b34f.jpg

Thank You for the Report.

But...you chose to buy a coin with a fingerprint? :pullhair::insane::makepoint::preach::baiting::ohnoez:

Thank You for the Report.

But...you chose to buy a coin with a fingerprint? :pullhair::insane::makepoint::preach::baiting::ohnoez:

Yes, I did. Mostly because I didn't see the fingerprint until I got it home and looked at it under my light. And, I got it for a really good price.

Great image.

Thanks. That obverse image is actually one of my best pictures ever - in hand the coin looks 95% like that - maybe a little more lustrous, but the color is spot on. Its easier when they are raw.

MS65 $70, I was wondering about the fingerprint deal also, at first the white specks on the cheek made me think AU, but I didn't see anything on the hair above the ear, the back of the hat or the veggies beneath LIBERTY, and the cheek looks cleaner than some 64's I've seen, so I guessed 65. As for the reverse, I thought it had wear, but I don't know much about Morgans so I figured it must be strike because it seems the reverse always looks better than the obverse. How bad is my thinking?

Good guesses everyone. I personally grade the piece at 64+. The cheek and fields, especially on the obverse, are exceptionally clean. The toning is attractive, and the strike is average. There is no wear present; the luster is complete over the high points. The only real downsides to this coin are that the luster is not as strong as I would like (probably due to the toning) which will probably prevent a 65, and the small fingerprint on the reverse. Now, I hate fingerprints. I try to never buy coins with fingerprints. If you've known me for long, you know that to be true. I can honestly say that for this coin, however, I did not see the fingerprints until I got it home and put it under my light. It is small and inconspicuous, and blends in with the rest of the toning so well that it is hard to see at certain angles. Do I like the fingerprint? No. Do I wish it wasn't there? Of course. But, such is life.

I don't feel too badly about it, especially when you consider the price I got it for - $45! I was rooting around in the dealers half price bucket while my sister was looking through the album of Mercs, and this one caught my eye. They had $90 on the holder (which would be a fair price for this coin, if you agree with the 64 grade). But sure enough it wasn't a mistake, and I took it home for $45.

The coin does appear to have clean fields. However it looks to lack luster in the pic. The toning is neutral at best and then there is the print. I doubt I would have bought this unless it was a gift for my sister at a little over melt.

Thank you for the report. Did your sister enjoy the show?

Yes, she had a great time. She was able to find one dime for her set (her album is probably 1/3 to 1/2 done) I let her look through the albums and cases and pick out the ones she wants by herself. When she's found ones she likes, I look them over and then use them to teach her what to look for - if its a good coin, I point out that she picked a nice one. If she picked one with problems, I point them out to her and teach her what to look for. Over the course of the past couple of years, she has been getting better and better, to the point now where she is consistently picking attractive, original, problem free coins. She found one this time that had a scratch, which was pretty well hidden on the reverse. She handed it to me, and I noticed it right away, so I handed it back to her and asked her "Take another look at it and tell me if you still like it." After about a minute of looking at it, she finally found the scratch - and put it back in the dealer's binder. I'm training her well!

Thank you for the report. Did your sister enjoy the show?

Yes, she had a great time. She was able to find one dime for her set (her album is probably 1/3 to 1/2 done) I let her look through the albums and cases and pick out the ones she wants by herself. When she's found ones she likes, I look them over and then use them to teach her what to look for - if its a good coin, I point out that she picked a nice one. If she picked one with problems, I point them out to her and teach her what to look for. Over the course of the past couple of years, she has been getting better and better, to the point now where she is consistently picking attractive, original, problem free coins. She found one this time that had a scratch, which was pretty well hidden on the reverse. She handed it to me, and I noticed it right away, so I handed it back to her and asked her "Take another look at it and tell me if you still like it." After about a minute of looking at it, she finally found the scratch - and put it back in the dealer's binder. I'm training her well!

Very cool! My sons 13th birthday is this week and I am giving him a 20th century type set book to start on. I hope our experiences will shadow how yours have gone.

I stopped by the show as well. I ended up buying one coin, an 1875 S Trade Dollar (PCGS MS63). It can be seen in my Type Set linked below.

VERY NICE and I'm GLAD to see that you have great images to go along with the coin!!