• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I Mess Up?

14 posts in this topic

Very lustrous, but it kinda looks gold plated? The luster could be from the plating if it is plated. The reverse seems to have a little wear, might be a weak strike as the Buffalo nickel series was plagued with weak strikes. But I don't think this year was one of those.

I think you did just fine. The white balance is off, which is giving it more color than I think it has in hand. It appears lustrous, and I don't see any problems evident from your pictures. Your pictures aren't really clear enough to tell AU vs MS, but at $15 you aren't out much if it does turn out to be AU.

That is really odd toning if natural

I have a gold plated buffalo that looks just like that - look very close around the edge and compare to other nickels to see if you have the lines associated with preparation and ejection from die

mine also has an area where someone scratched the edge and exposed different interior (just in case struck on gold quarter eagle or half eagle planchet I guess)

Very lustrous, but it kinda looks gold plated? The luster could be from the plating if it is plated. The reverse seems to have a little wear, might be a weak strike as the Buffalo nickel series was plagued with weak strikes. But I don't think this year was one of those.

Buffalo nickels often display a golden patina, and this is exacerbated (as you know as an experienced photographer) when the white balance is off. I think this is what we are seeing here. The coin looks fine to me. I would call it AU-Unc., and cannot come any closer with the images provided.

I have a 1938-D Buffalo Nickel like this as well. Although you cant really tell it from the picture, the coin does have the nice gold colored patina on it and it is graded MS66 by NGC. Just thought I would share to help try to ease your worries!

IMG_0246_zpsb9e61015.jpg