• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st coin show as a "dealer."

23 posts in this topic

Don't have bad body odor, chew gum, wear something nice, be friendly, don't ask inappropriate questions like asking what a person drives, lives, works, etc, be fair and have fun :)

Watch your inventory closely. When your case is open, it's an invitation for someone to steal something. I've seen some very brazen thieves.

Prepare yourself to be asked the same question over and over. Do you have X? Can you look at my rare coin? Why is this coin so expensive?

Figure out exactly what you want for a coin before being asked by a customer. Don't be afraid to hold your ground.

No matter how annoying and clueless the customer in front of you is, your next one will likely be worse.

Watch your inventory closely. When your case is open, it's an invitation for someone to steal something. I've seen some very brazen thieves.

Prepare yourself to be asked the same question over and over. Do you have X? Can you look at my rare coin? Why is this coin so expensive?

Figure out exactly what you want for a coin before being asked by a customer. Don't be afraid to hold your ground.

No matter how annoying and clueless the customer in front of you is, your next one will likely be worse.

This is good advise.

Also be prepared for wholesale opportunities and stick to your guns with fellow dealers.

MJ

Do not forget to enjoy all those annoying collectors. You have probably been that guy at some point.

Good Luck I hope you do well.

By the way if you are selling high grade brown wheats 1920 and earlier or colorful buffs PM me.

Wear a shirt with a mustard stain already on it, this is a signal that you are ready to interact and will not ignore direct questions. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Lots of great advice! I'm really excited! If anything, I might be the one talking their ears off for the 1st couple of hours, or until I lose my voice!

I going to My 1st coin show as a "dealer" tomorrow at the 25th Hidalgo Coin & Collectibles Show.

Any pointers out there from season show sellers?

Bring a change of underwear, just in case.

That is good advice for almost anything

Great advice, I hope we get an after action report!

Had I gotten here earlier I would have said - don't judge a customer by his age/apperance/etc...and have fun! I seem to always buy from dealers who look like they are enjoying themselves.

Relax and don't expect to hit any homeruns you first time out. When I first started, I was satisfied to do only a few hundred dollars in gross sales the first few times out despite that fact that my inventory was worth over $10 thousand. As a new face, the collectors will be getting to know you.

Conversely the dealers will see the new face and will see if you are an "easy mark" who doesn't know when he has a nice piece that might worth more than you are asking. In other words, do your homework before you go to the show. Know you what you paid for everything by using your price code, or short of that have a list, and have an idea of the prices you should get.

If you don't have a price code, develop one. All you need do is come up with phrase with 10 letters in it that you can call 1 through 0. After a while you will be able to just glance at it and get the number.

If they start picking at you like vultures, don't be afraid to call "time out" and take only one or two customers at a time. And yes, keep a close watch on your case when it is open and on the material when you are showing it to perspective buyers. Thieves like to come to coin shows to prey on the unwary.

If the management offers to have a guard with you when you are packing up your car, take advantage of it. Make sure all of you tires are okay, and don't be shy about looking to see if anyone is following you as you drive home. Post show security can be as important as security during the show.

Everyone expects a deal. Know your inventory and what things are worth. If uncertain, don't just blurt out a number, look it up.

Dealers will want to look over your stuff. They will get first crack normally during set up. Be prepared to tell them you're not interested in Dealer trades quite yet if that suits you.

Someone is bound to want a receipt. can you issue one?

The hand sanitizer idea seems very topical.

Dealers will want to look over your stuff. They will get first crack normally during set up. Be prepared to tell them you're not interested in Dealer trades quite yet if that suits you.

Be careful not tto turn off the dealers completely. They can be a wonderful source of revenue and also coins you need for want lists and inventory. Two way streets are wonderful things. It is a very good thing when you can keep your inventory fresh with new coins to offer at every show.

A very small number dealers are lone wolves. I mean that both in the sense that they don't like to work with anyone, and they can be predatory. When I was in business I generally avoided them. You will learn who they are pretty fast.

A dealer friend of mine, a really good guy, was able to buy a few coins from one of the most famous "lone wolves" which surprised me. One day my friend told me that the lone wolf informed him that he didn't want to do any more business with him because he ran "largely a retail operation." It must be great to be able to be in a position to tell a guy who pays fair prices with checks that never bounce to got away.