• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Messes Up An Easy Congo Coin posted by Congo Kid

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Easy Overdate Missed

I just bought a coin from an eBay auction, which was graded by NGC. The coin is a lovely coin, and properly graded, but it is not a standard 1888 5 Centimes that it was labeled as. It is in fact a 1888/7 5 Centimes, which is very easy to detect and should have been caught by NGC. I have 3 Gem 1888/7 5 Centimes pieces (NGC MS66RB, PCGS MS66BN, and NGC MS65RD). This is a common and well-known overdate that NGC should have caught with a second of looking at the date. Not only do I not need this coin, but if I did and wanted it corrected, it is a pain to ship the coin etc. I have a group of 4 others that need to be properly relabeled for an pedigree, and I still haven't sent them in because of the hassle.

Thoughts?

12994.JPG

See more journals by Congo Kid

This is a variety, not an error and NGC does not charge for this variety attribution.

Should NGC have caught it? Sure, it is a super common variety. Should the submitter have caught it and put it on the submission form? You bet!

Given the fact NGC grades about ~7000 coins a day and it likely wasn't listed on the submission form, you can't really blame them for this oversight.

Yep the variety attribution coins are a hassle. I have been saving up as I find one and now have 9 to send in. First you will need 5 for a submission and you will need to check the selective box for variety attribution cost. It will cost extra for each coin but that also includes a scratch resistant coated slab.

If NGC messed up the insert, you do not need to pay to have it corrected, other than the cost of shipping. You also don't need to send them a minimum of 5.

The Congo coin is listed in the Krause catalog and NGC will attribute this at no additional cost. I know as I've had these slabbed. They're common. The $12 extra cost is for more esoteric varieties, like Cherrypickers numbers.

Thanks gmarguli, Sometimes it is a hard decision as to which ones need the variety attribute paid and the ones that will get the variety without the fee. I have also sent in a new variety found and paid the variety fee just to be kicked out the door in a regular slab (that won't happen again).

Rick

Yes, gmarguli is correct in that this is not an error, but rather a well-known and readily detectable variety. I have 3 superb pieces already. The dealer that sold me the coin is taking it back without any problems. A very good dealer. I could not see the date up close to determine the overdate, or I wouldn't have bought it. Yes, NGC grades a lot of coins, and mistakes will happen. It is still a pain in the butt to have to mail things back at your own expense, not to mention the added risk incurred to mail things back. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. I have a set of four pieces that they made a mistake on the pedigree. One of these days I will send them in to have them correct it. Sigh.