• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you sold or thought about selling some of your rare US coins for bullion?

24 posts in this topic

Many people believe that we are soon going to experience a monetary crisis; that the prices of bullion, especially silver and gold bullion, are going to rise dramatically in the near future AND that prices for rare US coins might concomitantly plummet.

So, my questions to you are:

1) Have you sold or thought about selling some of your rare US coins to free up cash to purchase bullion?

2) Have any of you sold rare coins to buy bullion, expecting to get out of bullion after a serious rise to then put the money back into rare coins?

I sold some bullion to buy numismatics but now I might sell some numismatic to get bullion again. Reason is that with bullion if I need the money I can sell it and not be too attached. With numismatics, I find myself getting so attached with some stuff that I can't or have a hard time letting it go!

I've already sold or traded most of my bullion. I was up to 15 1/2 ounces, looking back I wish I'd bought 1/2 ounce more and taken a picture. Will probaly never come close to owning 1 lb. of gold again. Bought it all between $600-800, sold or traded between $1500-1800.......MAILMAN

I've already sold or traded most of my bullion. I was up to 15 1/2 ounces, looking back I wish I'd bought 1/2 ounce more and taken a picture. Will probaly never come close to owning 1 lb. of gold again. Bought it all between $600-800, sold or traded between $1500-1800.......MAILMAN

Nicely done!

cha ching! :banana:

OP

1) Have you sold or thought about selling some of your rare US coins to free up cash to purchase bullion?

2) Have any of you sold rare coins to buy bullion, expecting to get out of bullion after a serious rise to then put the money back into rare coins?

(1) absolutely not, and (2) not me.

I think predictions of "a monetary crisis" are utter nonsense, and that comment has nothing to do with any political affiliation.

The way I was able to buy my first few graded coins was by selling raw coins. Whether they were melted down or not, who knows.

In another situation....If my grandma gave me her small horde of silver, I don't think I'd sell them for melt. Old coins are just cool to me and I'd hold on to.

I have a hard time letting go of any of my coins because they are hard to replace, peace toners, PL-ish world crown silver, couple issues under 250 minted and 60 minted....Ive seen less than 5 nicely toned 1921 P$ in my 7 years collecting, How do I re-aquire such a scarce coin? If I had generic white coins I would consider selling for silver. Ive grown too attached to some of these pieces. Im a small timer though but ive got about 15-20 ounces of silver bullion. Problem is i like those too. I have 7 ounces of D Carr silver bars which are beautiful. Wish I had a 90% hoarde.

1) No, the other way around.

2) No. The thing about bullion is it's easily replaceable. A nice, scarce coin is not.

Lance.

To answer your questions; no and no.

To play counter point, let's say there is a monetary crisis. If history were to repeat itself from the great depression, the government made owning gold bullion illegal. The only way to legally own gold was in coins. One could argue that the smart move would be to sell bullion to buy coins. :baiting:

Ive seen less than 5 nicely toned 1921 P$ in my 7 years collecting,

In 12 yrs of looking for Peace toners I have seen 3...

If you see any 1928 let me know, Ive yet to see even one!

To answer your questions; no and no.

To play counter point, let's say there is a monetary crisis. If history were to repeat itself from the great depression, the government made owning gold bullion illegal. The only way to legally own gold was in coins. One could argue that the smart move would be to sell bullion to buy coins. :baiting:

I consider ungraded ASE's bullion

Ive seen less than 5 nicely toned 1921 P$ in my 7 years collecting,

In 12 yrs of looking for Peace toners I have seen 3...

If you see any 1928 let me know, Ive yet to see even one!

Only 2... 34-S, 27-S, 28-S, 24-S are also all hard to find.

I sent my bullion to a mad scientist to run unspeakable experiments on my beloved ASE.

I hope she makes it back in good color! Blues, Reds, Violets

OP

I sent my bullion to a mad scientist to run unspeakable experiments on my beloved ASE.

OP

I'm with you

OP

The coin or the mad scientist?