• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Barber Half. Want to sell. Need advice

32 posts in this topic

I'm looking to post my 1913 Barber Half to eBay, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I know how to post, but my dilemma is 1. Do I start list at auction starting at a specific price 2. Do I list for BIN. I want to assume 1., but I thought I'd ask anyway.

My next problem is, what to ask. This coin has clearly been cleaned, and also doctored, but that I'm not sure about. I know it's a decent date, but the cleaning and repair will hurt it for sure, and I expect that. I don't have any experience with these, and I've seen some of you post some fantastic examples, so I'm hoping that you can take a look at the pics and possibly provide some guidance.

if the obverse was cleaned, why not clean it right? At 5 o clock, it just looks like a line. If it was cleaned, why would the cleaner half it? What might have been used to clean this?

1913barber1.jpg

1913barber2.jpg

Tip on nose pressed/cut off somehow?

1913barber3.jpg

Hole that seems to go through, and filled.

1913barber4.jpg

1913barber5.jpg

If I owned the coin, I'd list it at no reserve and let it go. Regarding the cleaning and repair that you mentioned - just provide your honest assessment and include images, then let the buyers decide what they think it's worth.

Reserve or minimum bid listings provide downside protection, but they also discourage bidding.

Thanks Mark. What would the bid start off at, and how long would you suggest? I want to keep it as honest as possible, but I also don't want to let it go for $5 :)

If you're going to include a minimum bid, the amount is up to you. But I'd suggest that you make it as low as you could stomach as a worst case scenario.

Many sellers seem to prefer having listings that end on Sunday night, so I'd suggest a 7 day listing that runs from a Sunday to a Sunday.

Ok Mark. What would you pay? Being a dealer, I might expect the worst, so maybe I can gauge it by that ;)

Sorry, I can't help you there, as I have no interest in the coin. But if it had a hole which has been repaired and has been cleaned, I can't see it as having much value. Perhaps $20? There are others who should be able to provide you with a better value guess, however, as this is not an area I deal in.

You should get more than melt for a 1913 even in that shape. Not much more but in the end after fees and shipping you might net melt, you might get more.

Best of luck and good for you for being such a straight shooter about a coin you are selling. That is commendable and very refreshing. (thumbs u

Thanks Mark. I just wouldn't want to be that other guy to make the mistakes that I've made. It's too easy. I'm not in it for the $

"It scared me" lol

Just for future listing I wouldn't recommend ending an auction at 3am PST/6am EST on a weekend when there are very few bidders online.

Probably a good idea :) I didn't take it into consideration when I chose 3 hrs. I wanted it to end Sat/Sun. I think I got lucky because there are 2 hrs left and I'm at $68 now. I feel a lot better that I wont be losing too much on this one.

..... maybe I wanted people to lose sleep over it ;)

Wow!!!!! Winning bid:US $94.47 :) I'm pleasantly surprised to say the least

That was way higher than my estimate, congrats! Maybe I will start listing to end at that time...lol.