• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp 1881 S Morgan ....a spontaneous weekend buy

69 posts in this topic

Made an offer on ebay. He had it listed really high, so I sent a pretty low offer thinking there's no way he'd accept, but he did.

Do you mind saying what you paid? I just about always care a lot more about the final price paid, than I do the high price from which an item is discounted.

$380 which is still pretty costly, but I liked it.

Thanks. If the coin looks in hand, as nice and appealing as it does in the image, that doesn't seem outrageous. So I am relieved. ;) Enjoy.

I've paid more outrageous prices for common dates :) This wasn't too bad. I don't have this date, and I couldn't resist the color. I'll bring it to CAC to see if it'll sticker. Luckily, they're super close to me.

I've paid more outrageous prices for common dates :) This wasn't too bad. I don't have this date, and I couldn't resist the color. I'll bring it to CAC to see if it'll sticker. Luckily, they're super close to me.

Not that you asked for my opinion, but I see no reason to submit that coin to CAC, The color doesn't look at all questionable and I don't think that a sticker would add value or liquidity to the coin.

I take any advice or other opinions into consideration, so thank you. I guess at this point, I'm still a little unsure of myself when trying to grade. I'm sure it's accurate, but I guess I'm looking for a little security in knowing that I made a worthy purchase. Lately, I notice a lot of discussion regarding under or overgraded coins by TPG's, so I try to take some of these things into consideration. Especially if it's a few hundred $ and I'm buying it online (except for the few of Ankur's that I've purchased already stickered and seen in hand).

I've seen the CAC discussions and I can see it from both sides. I've bought a few non- CAC and have no problem keeping them as is. I also thought it was a great opportunity for me, as a beginner, to have a walk through at the facility to submit a few coins and then discuss my coin characteristics, and why or why not it was "worthy" of a sicker. I found it to be a great educational experience, but I don't believe I'll need it as a lifetime necessity. Besides, I can do it on lunchtime ;)

I agree with Mark's thoughts on this one though I think the color will be a little lighter in hand based on the techniques used to image it. I think it's an attractive coin and I think you paid a fair price....perhaps a bit on the high side but I think it's in the right ballpark so who cares. The coin looks like a 65 via the images so while I believe it would most likely sticker I don't think I would waste the time or money unless you plan on trying to turn around and flip the piece which doesn't seem like your motive for purchase.

No no, I plan on keeping it in my collection unless it doesn't do it for me and I send it back.

edit

I think the color will be a little lighter in hand based on the techniques used to image it

Hmm...is this your secret? :P

No no, I plan on keeping it in my collection unless it doesn't do it for me and I send it back.

edit

I think the color will be a little lighter in hand based on the techniques used to image it

Hmm...is this your secret? :P

Krypt's pictures are spot on. The seller of your coin does a little "editing". Not to the point of deception but to the point where the picture is not exactly what coins look like in hand. Along the lines of what True Views do, where you end up with a slight cartoony effect. Again not to the point of deception, I think youll be happy with the coin.

Yeah, I was just messing with him :) I will take a picture as soon as I get it. You aren't the inly one to mention this, and I knew prior to the purchase. I'm just taking a risk on this one.

It's a common coin in a commonly found grade. Of course, it's pretty, but not out of this world pretty. The price paid ($380) seems awfully stiff to me, but then again Mark didn't think it was too bad to him. I hope you like it, but I would not have paid so much for this coin.

Very nice coin. I love light pastel coins bathed over great luster.

E79AF760-82D3-4B87-A0EF-803F72CC1EF1-10035-0000064A694364FB.jpg

You have very nice coins. Funny I keep seeing them on other people's newp posts. Showoff :P

I just picked this one up for 279.00,the coin is not as vibrent in hand.MS 65+

Morg1885-0TonedOBV65.jpg

That's interesting as usually I can tell if the images has been played with and other then the image being a bit dark which can make the colors look a bit deeper I wouldn't have suspected that this one out look different in hand.