• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maybe because its 5am....Does NGC star world coins?

9 posts in this topic

I have seen ancients with the star, but not non-USA coins other than that.

The coin picture attached is just one of several I have seen -- currently up for sale on eBay.

134002.jpg.466798b4981616f7fe310f39864f7efb.jpg

I wonder why the reason for that policy. They can grade a world coin within the the same technical point scale as US coins, determine whether it is counterfeit, but cant have an opinion on eye appeal for it?

I wonder why the reason for that policy. They can grade a world coin within the the same technical point scale as US coins, determine whether it is counterfeit, but cant have an opinion on eye appeal for it?

I'm not sure of the reason for the policy, but I will say -- many non-USA collectors do not find toning appealing. Even what we would go crazy for over here in the States, many in Europe or Australia would think of as almost a form of environmental damage. The "obsession" with toned coins is mostly a mentality of the USA collector. As such, NGC may be forgoing adding their "eye appeal" designation to non-USA coins? (shrug) Just a wild guess here, but who knows...

They feel that it would be too complicated for the non-US market. They want to get the non-US market more accepting of 1-70 grades before introducing the Star designation. At least that is what was told to be several times over the years. Personally, I'd like to see that change.