• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 Proof Buff, 1840-O $2.5, and a 2011 SAE Anniversary set

8 posts in this topic

1936 PROOF BUFFALO 5¢ PF66 PCGS - AMAZING COIN

Offered here is a coin that is pretty near and dear to me, a satiny, colorful, and beautiful example of a Proof 1936 Type 1 buffalo nickel (satin finish). This piece possesses tremendous character and is simply flawless to my eye. The surfaces of the coin are without mar or abrasion, and the satin finish is perfectly evenly distributed. These traits combined are more than sufficient for time to have allowed the process of excellent toning, with azure blue at the coin's periphery, giving way to subtle hues of orange, then to areas of white that look as natural as the day the piece was minted. Truly, I can't imagine a more lovely piece. While my concerns of parting with it lie in the demands of every-day life, suffice it to say that I will long remember this coin, thus passing it to generations of caretakers for the future.

I must say that the photos do not capture the resplendence of this coin. I find it vastly more fetching and dynamic in-person than any photograph can convey. The best photos in my opinion are those showing the coin in the slab.

1840-O LIBERTY $2.5 XF45 NGC - SUBLIMELY BEAUTIFUL Auction 1840-O LIBERTY $2.5 XF45 NGC - SUBLIMELY BEAUTIFUL

Of the 33,580 pieces reported as minted from New Orleans in 1840, this is an absolutely wonderful survivor. Garrett and Guth (Garrett and Guth - Encyclopedia of US Gold Coins 1795-1933) estimate a total survival of approximately 1,000 pieces of the 1840-O $2½ gold, most of which are below the grade offered here and many of which are undoubtedly altered. This piece boasts originality. With a strike that is typically weak for the issue (New Orleans had difficulty with hardening dies), this piece has totally original surfaces, has never been altered or cleaned, and is perfectly naturally patinated. The originality of this coin speaks for itself. This is the only example of this issue that I’ve seen in auction for the past 6 years. Granted, I have not witnessed every auction, but I look for these pieces and they are rare – and I often have the suspicion that they are either rarer than Garrett and Guth state, or very tightly held by collectors (and I can see why). Indeed, these come up for auction far less often than the “rarer” Philadelphia Mint issue of the same year. Short of collecting a set of the vastly more difficult to obtain Dahlonega and Charlotte issues, the New Orleans quarter eagles would make for a spectacular set – just one I personally can’t tackle at the time being!

2011 SILVER AMERICAN EAGLE 25th ANNIVERSARY SET Auction 2011 SILVER AMERICAN EAGLE 25th ANNIVERSARY SET

An absolutely lovely and original set. No flaws, just simply excellent.

Welcome back, Mark.

When coins are for sale via auction on Ebay, as opposed to direct sale, please indicate that in thread title. You are not the first person I have picked on for that. ;)