• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1794 Dollar is now the worlds most valuable coin!

44 posts in this topic

WOW! $10,016,875! This beats the previous sale of the 1933 Saint!

'

It has achieved the highest price for a coin in a sale. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is the most valuable coin. My vote still goes to J-1776.

Is J-1776 technically a coin, counselor? :D

Yes, your honor, a pattern coin. :devil:

And congratulations to you and Legend!

Thank you - this has been my dream coin for many many years. And no - the new owners will not remain anonymous. :acclaim:

WOW! $10,016,875! This beats the previous sale of the 1933 Saint!

'

It has achieved the highest price for a coin in a sale. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is the most valuable coin. My vote still goes to J-1776.

There is an Australian "coin" that is valued over $50M based on the gold content alone. There is an Indian coin that was withdrawn from auction before it sold, but I believe the bidding had well surpassed $10M before it was withdrawn.

"The Flowing Hair Silver Dollar more than doubled the previous $4.1 million record for a coin set in 1999, auction house Stack's Bowers Galleries said"

Isnt that incorrect?

I think it's plain thrilling one of our own forum members has just obtained such an historic treasure, we can all enjoy it vicariously, congratulations.

Both TDN and Cardinal should be congratulated. Both are passionate about the hobby, and both are fine folk. I personally find it fitting that these two have owned one of the two of my favorite US silver coins (the other is the Stack 1870-S dollar, ex-TDN).

Again, congratulations to TDN/Legend and Cardinal.

EVP

I wonder if it will show up on ebay at $11M as the owner tries to flip it for a quick $1M profit?

(I thought my offer of $35 was generous, especially considering all the adjustment marks and tarnish. Maybe a bit of that silver polish paste would help....?)

Uhm - no. It won't

For the purpose of a correct Record, and no other reason (other than to satisfy the desire of Mr. Feld that accuracy be stated whenever possible), is that a "No" to both of the questions posed by Mr. RWB? I assume so, however, one never knows these days.

Certainly congratulations are in order. I'm just amazed at how rare the earliest coins of the United States actually are. I was at an auction last Sunday where a fellow bought a 1794 (Head of '94) Cent in AU for $8,000 and I thought that was a steep price. This rare bird is over the moon!!!

Too cool!!

I read the second as being rhetorical...

A perfect answer for the present Deposition of the transaction.

Somehow, I feel this coin should be owned by you, and will be preserved for History, as it should. It is more than a coin, in so many ways.

"The Flowing Hair Silver Dollar more than doubled the previous $4.1 million record for a coin set in 1999, auction house Stack's Bowers Galleries said"

Isnt that incorrect?

For any coin yes, that record belonged to the Farouk 1933 $20 which brought $7.5m with BP from Sotheby's/Stack's. However, for SILVER DOLLAR, yes, the previous mark was $4.1m for an 1804 Class I $1 from Bowers and Merana.

I have nothing against CAC or the CAC concept, so don't get me wrong, but for some reason seeing the green bean on the holder of a $10 million coin struck me as funny.

It already held the record for the highest price paid for a coin. It last sold three years ago for $7.84 million which beat the 1933 double eagle. It now also holds the record for the highest amount bid on a coin at auction. That was previously held by a 1000 Mohur coin at $8 million ($9.5 million with the juice) but it did not reach the reserve and the sale did not take place.