• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964D lincoln small cent: what say you?

21 posts in this topic

Saw this on Ebay:

Lincoln cent UC 1964D, This coin is taken from a U.S.. mint set and is sent to you in mint set cellophane.

My question is, as previously discussed on another pst, are thse coins worth anything?

Also what is a small cent?

Also what is a small cent?
Small cent are coins of today's size. The last year for the large cents was 1857, They are about the size of a quarter. Small cents started in 1856 with the flying eagle, although, those are pretty rare.

I am still going through the coins that I have and if I dont have any information on hand, I search other websites. I came across this on ebay. I have several coins that are proof coins and I was told that they are not worth much.

Maybe I better explain further. I understood them to mean that only proof sets are sold to collectors and not in circulation. Therefore, those coins, even when found in circulation aren't worth much.

I couldnt understand why, because of what I had been told. I saw a Lincoln cent, 1964D (which I have) from a mint set and I couldnt understand why it was being posted for sale.

I am thinking that a proof is worth more. So once it is out of a set, it isnt.

I have so many AU coins, that I am putting them all in a box to sell. I am attempting to grade them before I do so...They are real shiny coins. All my copper coins are grouped together for sale. My wheat cents, many which are damaged are going to the Philly mint. Some were in a fire...so sorry about that..

well, I hope I have put it to the point you can understand what I am saying...

I really dont see any need to keep the Kennedy"s half dollars but my dad saved them for the grandkids, so they will be placed in an album. My damaged siver coins will go into a junk silver box for sale. I am so I am going to lose money along the way. I have lots of damaged coins which may be mint errors coins. Some I can find at website but some of these coins...you wouldnt believe the mutilation...incredible.

Lack of funds are limiting me right now..but I will get there...

I am still going through the coins that I have and if I dont have any information on hand, I search other websites. I came across this on ebay. I have several coins that are proof coins and I was told that they are not worth much.

Maybe I better explain further. I understood them to mean that only proof sets are sold to collectors and not in circulation. Therefore, those coins, even when found in circulation aren't worth much.

I couldnt understand why, because of what I had been told. I saw a Lincoln cent, 1964D (which I have) from a mint set and I couldnt understand why it was being posted for sale.

I am thinking that a proof is worth more. So once it is out of a set, it isnt.

I have so many AU coins, that I am putting them all in a box to sell. I am attempting to grade them before I do so...They are real shiny coins. All my copper coins are grouped together for sale. My wheat cents, many which are damaged are going to the Philly mint. Some were in a fire...so sorry about that..

well, I hope I have put it to the point you can understand what I am saying...

I really dont see any need to keep the Kennedy"s half dollars but my dad saved them for the grandkids, so they will be placed in an album. My damaged siver coins will go into a junk silver box for sale. I am so I am going to lose money along the way. I have lots of damaged coins which may be mint errors coins. Some I can find at website but some of these coins...you wouldnt believe the mutilation...incredible.

Lack of funds are limiting me right now..but I will get there...

99.99% of the AU copper pennies you have are gonna be worth face value - copper value at best. If I am understanding your question correctly then you are still not quite grasping the idea of where the hobby is at today. Not meant as a knock, it takes a long continuous road to understand things, but if your thinking is "Oh this 1964 penny is for sale on ebay then the 1964 pennies I have must be worth something" is not quite the correct logic.

People break up mint sets because they took one or more coins for other purposes -> grading, filling a hole in their set....

You have so much to learn, I wonder if you actually know what a proof is or how to tell the difference between AU and uncirculated.

Maybe the reason local dealers are not offering much, is your coins are not worth much.

Do you have any uncirculated rolls? Complete mint or proof sets? or are you just looking at a giant jar of loose change.

I recommend you pull out all the 1964 and earlier dimes, quarters, halves, dollars - this is all 90% silver and worth at least 20 times face now.

It sounds like quite a bit of your Hoard is worth face, and should be turned in at a bank so you can buy a camera to picture and sell on eBay.

Easy way to put...

Just because something isn't worth much, does NOT mean someone won't pay for it.

Your cent may be worth 3 cents and some could potentially give you a $1 for it. You won't know unless you try, but if someone does buy it, doesn't mean its actually worth $1

Nope wasnt thinking that at all! Just had to question why it was being sold. I just didnt know that proof coin could be sold unless it went to a collector, in other words not in circulation. I didnt realize they could break up a package and sell a few.

Yep, I got a long road ahead. Just read a article on MSN money about copper which, bring me to another question...what good is selling copper if it cant be melted down? Are dealers going to pay the melt value?

The AU coins are not copper coins...the AU coins I have are from 1984 to present date.

Thanks for responding

Yes, I got a lot to learn...I thought proofs were coins directly from the mint sold to collectors and not for circulation. Correct me if I am wrong or partially wrong.

I have done exactly that in separating the 90% silver.

I havent been to a dealer...afraid I am going to get "short-changed"...I am trying to learn as much as I can, but I realize there may be something I will never learn...

thks:)

Yes, I think so too...someone might just need a particular coin that I have to complete a collection...who knows?

I have so Lincoln coins that are worth as much as $9 or $25...yet if I sell them all in a bag...sigh...how should I price them if they are worth more than face value?

Yes, I think so too...someone might just need a particular coin that I have to complete a collection...who knows?

I have so Lincoln coins that are worth as much as $9 or $25...yet if I sell them all in a bag...sigh...how should I price them if they are worth more than face value?

Where are you getting your values?

moneyhoney,

With coin collecting, a word or two can make a big difference. It's important that you read posts and web pages very carefully.

In your original post, the seller says that the 1964-D Lincoln cent is still in its Original Government Packaging (mint sets are sold in soft plastic packaging; proof sets are sold in hard plastic packaging).

It's not unusual for mint sets to be cut apart and the coins sold individually. As long as the coins are still in their OGP (which means the coins haven't circulated), they still have value to a collector.

If the mint set coins have been removed from their OGP and put into circulation, then, you're right, there's basically no way to tell them from any other new-looking coin and they've lost the value they had as a mint set coin.

Be very careful not to confuse proof sets and mint sets - they're very different things.

Also, collectors of error coins (especially modern error coins) want the coins to be in uncirculated condition. If the coin is badly damaged or mutilated, then no matter the error, it doesn't have any collector value.

Also, so far you haven't talked about any coins that would fetch between $9 and $25 (except your silver coins). I'm concerned that you're significantly overestimating the value of your coins. Please discuss a coin (in specific detail) that you feel would fetch $25 from a collector or dealer.

edited to add: I'm sorry to say that your post-1984 coins in AU condition are most likely worth face value and won't fetch a premium to face value unless they're in a fairly high grade of Uncirculated.

Also, If you'll tell us where you live (or the nearest city) I'm sure someone here can direct you to a good dealer to whom you can sell your silver coins. If you don't want to do that, then call around to your local dealers; they should be willing to tell you over the phone what they're paying for 90% silver on any given day.

Thanks DaveG for all the information...I went to a jewelry store to have some jewelry appraised and the salesperson told me a good place to go ..this person is a NGC member and he sends coin off to be graded...

moneyhoney,

You should try to get more than one offer - different dealers offer different prices based on their size, cash flow and who they sell to.

Well when I mentioned the 1984 and beyond lincoln cents, I didnt exactly considered it a grade...anyway I just looked at the coin and they dont look as though they have been in circulation...so I just graded them AU from information on websites about grading coins....

I know I am going to get a lot of response when I post pics of my coins....I cant wait myself..

OK, it's just that if you read through the "Hey buddy can you spare a grade" section here, you will notice that even the people here, (myself not included) who have been collecting for years, and in some instances decades, will sometimes vary widely on what they consider the grade to be. I try, and you should participate too, because you can ask them questions about why they graded something what they did and learn quite a bit. It's a good learning experience. At least with this you get to know if you are correct as opposed to grading by yourself and hoping you are correct. See you there