• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barack Obama Inauguration

33 posts in this topic

WOW.....at $7,500, is anyone getting the 3 medal set?

Inaugural Set

I have been told by Joe Levine that since their offering, only 11 sets have sold.

If these don't sell, the few holders could have quite a rarity.

You could not pay me enough to attend this inauguration, or even to watch it. It makes me soooooo sad to know it is happening.

Well, I guess I'll have to be as happy as you are sad to make the world a balanced place! lol

You could not pay me enough to attend this inauguration, or even to watch it. It makes me soooooo sad to know it is happening.

Your post is political, this thread should be blown up! (tsk)

But until then, enjoy the image! (thumbs u

BARAK.jpg

In casual conversations with those who are serious about collecting presidential inaugural medals (I only dabble in them.) I've heard some grousing about the price of these pieces and the number of varieties. In the old days there was almost always only one design in one size. There were almost always bronze pieces offered (Harding and Coolidge were an exception) and over time the silver medals became more available to the general public. The gold medals were almost always reserved for the president and vice president and virtually no one else.

Today there are many sizes and different medals, and it gets very expensive. I'd like to add some of the older ones to my collection, but I don't have any interest in the modern stuff. For 2012 I have one Obama - Biden jugate in my political button collection. I can't stomach any more. :sick: I gave away the pieces that I had bought during the campaign at my local coin club. Interestingly there were few takers.

Kinda funny.

A set to commemorate a Dem's inauguration priced where only a Rep. can afford it.

Good strategy.

meh

Haven't really checked the stats, huh? (Pssst...Dems have more money.)

Oh, this thread is so not long for this world.

Kinda funny.

A set to commemorate a Dem's inauguration priced where only a Rep. can afford it.

Good strategy.

meh

Haven't really checked the stats, huh? (Pssst...Dems have more money.)

Oh, this thread is so not long for this world.

A dirty little secret is that seven of the ten wealthiest counties in The United States are now in the Washington, DC area. That is just not right. The seat of government should not be the wealthiest area in the nation.

Kinda funny.

Good strategy.

Don't you mean a one percenter?

lol He certainly spent a lot of time attacking them. Interestingly the American people never caught on: Obama was comparing the marginal rates of middle class families with the capital gains tax rate, when the marginal rates of the top 1% are actually higher than for the rest of the country. The capital gains tax, until recently, was the same for everyone (15% on long term capital gains, with some exceptions for certain items such as coins - they were still constant). So much for transparency, fairness, and ensuring that everyone pays their fair share.

You are getting political here and talking one sided so let me rebut you. And what you forget is the that although the 1% have a higher tax rate, THEY NEVER PAY IT, because they have so many ways to reduce their tax rate through legal, and less than legal means. Look at his competitor and other 1% ers and look at the rate they really pay in taxes each year. The past 15% capital gains rate is just one way the rich can reduce their tax burden where most of the 99% can't because they just don't get these capital gains. This is all documented throughout the election. So much for transparency, fairness, and ensuring that everyone pays their fair share.

Sheesh...... :screwy:

Kinda funny.

Good strategy.

lol He certainly spent a lot of time attacking them. Interestingly the American people never caught on: Obama was comparing the marginal rates of middle class families with the capital gains tax rate, when the marginal rates of the top 1% are actually higher than for the rest of the country. The capital gains tax, until recently, was the same for everyone (15% on long term capital gains, with some exceptions for certain items such as coins - they were still constant). So much for transparency, fairness, and ensuring that everyone pays their fair share.

You are getting political here and talking one sided so let me rebut you. And what you forget is the that although the 1% have a higher tax rate, THEY NEVER PAY IT, because they have so many ways to reduce their tax rate through legal, and less than legal means. Look at his competitor and other 1% ers and look at the rate they really pay in taxes each year. The past 15% capital gains rate is just one way the rich can reduce their tax burden where most of the 99% can't because they just don't get these capital gains. This is all documented throughout the election. So much for transparency, fairness, and ensuring that everyone pays their fair share.

I understand this, but the point is that this issue was not presented as clearly and articulately as it should have been regardless of my views on the subject matter (I would have opposed it regardless, but at least it would seem more transparent to me). Regardless, I would still disagree for economic and political philosophical reasons, which I won't go into because this (along with the initial post) would only be off topic and derail the thread.

In any event you are right about the political nature of my post, and I apologize for turning this into a political thread. I will delete my original post as a result since as stated above, it is off topic and would only serve to derail the thread.

Kinda funny.

Good strategy.

I understand this, but the point is that this issue was not presented as clearly and articulately as it should have been regardless of my views on the subject matter (I would have opposed it regardless, but at least it would seem more transparent to me). Regardless, I would still disagree for economic and political philosophical reasons, which I won't go into because this (along with the initial post) would only be off topic and derail the thread.

In any event you are right about the political nature of my post, and I apologize for turning this into a political thread. I will delete my original post as a result since as stated above, it is off topic and would only serve to derail the thread.

Coinman, political issues during elections are never 'presented as clearly and articulately as it should have been regardless of' anyone's views on the subject matter. That is the nature of elections. It is up to us, the citizens, to weed through all things being said and figure out what is correct.

'Nough on polyticks - I won't post again on this subject either......

Best, HT

Kinda funny.

Good strategy.

Nonsense.

This isn't true.

Sorry.

Kinda funny.

Good strategy.

Nonsense.

This isn't true.

Sorry.

Which part of the many quotes above are you saying is not true? Be specific. Oh, I get it, you are part of the 1%? Can't ever come up with a clear and precise statement? :roflmao:

:jokealert:

Best, HT

Sheesh......

The top 1% paid 37% of the federal income taxes in 2009. In that same year the top 5% paid 59% of the federal income taxes. These are facts, and they shoot holes in many populist theories.

If you drive the capital out of this country with excessive taxation, the economy will forever be mired in a rut.

Sheesh......

The top 1% paid 37% of the federal income taxes in 2009. In that same year the top 5% paid 59% of the federal income taxes. These are facts, and they shoot holes in many populist theories.

If you drive the capital out of this country with excessive taxation, the economy will forever be mired in a rut.

From: http://www.kiplinger.com/article/taxes/T054-C000-S001-where-do-you-rank-as-a-taxpayer.html

'The latest numbers from the IRS -- based on 2010 tax returns -- show what it takes to be among the top 1% of income earners: adjusted gross income of $369,691 or more. The 1.4 million Americans with this elite status reported 16.9% of all the country's taxable income.

That's right. One percent of taxpayers reported almost 19% of all taxable income. But that same tiny group also kicked in 37% of all the taxes paid.'

That is 'taxable income', not TOTAL INCOME. Much of the income for the rich is not taxable through a variety of tax loopholes. So the percentage the rich pay on total income is much less. This is why there is an ongoing debate to reduce the tax loopholes for those making so much money, so that they pay tax on more of their total income and limit the amount that can be reduced to taxable income.

Best, HT

Sorry folks, I did not start this but I will add to it... (shrug)

From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/poor-americans-state-local-taxes_n_1903993.html

'Total U.S. taxes are barely progressive, as shown in this table and chart from Citizens for Tax Justice. The bottom 99 percent pays a 27.5 percent total tax rate on average, while the top 1 percent pays an average 29 percent tax rate, according to 2011 data from Citizens for Tax Justice.'

I have never paid over 10% of my income in taxes...that is from making 10k per year 20 years ago to now when I make around 80k. Not even close to 10% in any single year. It's just how the tax code is written. In fact I have several years in which I recieved more back than I paid in in the thousands (for example, paid 2k throughout the year, got 8k back as a return)

It's all spin that the poor pay more in taxes and rich don't pay enough. Just my opinion before this thread is deleted.

Sorry folks, I did not start this but I will add to it... (shrug)

From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/poor-americans-state-local-taxes_n_1903993.html

'Total U.S. taxes are barely progressive, as shown in this table and chart from Citizens for Tax Justice. The bottom 99 percent pays a 27.5 percent total tax rate on average, while the top 1 percent pays an average 29 percent tax rate, according to 2011 data from Citizens for Tax Justice.'

It's a flawed arguement to imply that the rich should have to pay more sales tax on a gallon of milk or more gas tax on a the fuel they use...