• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help/advise posted by Eagles-R-it

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

2011 Silver Eagles

I have some silver eagles in pcgs in both ms69 and 70. Also they are represented by each of the mints. They all have milk spots to varying degree. None of my NGC coins have this and they also are from different mints. Plus, I guess this is why I have been collecting NGC. The quality of the PCGS is terrible. One ms70 has scratches around it like pennies have when the first one comes out of a roll from the rolling machine. Also some have nicks and scratches.

So why the spots only in PCGS, they are all stored together, some side by side,I guess some were lonely on these cold winter nights.

Anyway if someone knows lets hear ya. As always thanks for reading my journal, however boring or dumb they are and thanks for looking at my pics and sets.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

Eagles, The spots are caused by the washing process that the mint uses. Sometimes a bit of residue is left behind when the planchets are not rinsed thoroughly. The white milky spots sometime develop after the coins are graded. I had this happen to 3 NGC MS70's. I sent them to NGC and requested an appearence review. After about 4 weeks I emailed them to see why it was taking so long for them to respond. I got an immediate reply saying they were having a hard time locating replacement coins. It took them about 6 weeks but they replaced all 3 with fresh coins. My guess is PCGS will do the same.

Good Luck!

Phil

Eagles,

More than likely the spots were already started on the PCGS coins due to humidity from the previous owner. I have sold a couple NGC milkers and one was terrible. It's not a PCGS thing in general ---- it's a storage problem.

Rick