• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

about that magnification again!

24 posts in this topic

From the coins that I have seen on websites, there isnt any way a MPD can be found with at 10x, with a 20x wouldnt show up...it went up to 60x in order to clearly see the MPD on a Lincoln cent...so I am learning.....have to take my time so I would know what really works....

Just saying...

Why is it that most collectors will not be interested if they cant see a MPD with a 10x?

If you need a mircroscope most folks will not bother with the coin at a premium. Large, obvious varieties or errors attract interest and dollars.

I just checked out variety plus about a MPD coin (not sure what type of coin) and then I clicked on upcoming auctions and there is an upcoming auction for MPD coin, I think this coin also has DDO. sure would like to know how much it sold for....IF I recall correctly, it's an Indian head cent

Wouldnt you be interested in the minor details? I have a quesiton...what do coin collectors look for in a coin? Are they concerned about mint errors and what type of coins are collectors interested in? I thought it was all for the money

Coin collectors, like most people, like things they can see with their naked eyes (or glasses, in the case of most coin collectors).

Most collectors will use a 5x to 10x magnifying glass to grade a coin or check for the more obvious varieties.

Very few collectors have the interest to get a microscope and look for things they need more than 20x magnification to see.

As a result: more collectors equals more money; few collectors equals little money.

edited to add: most collectors look for condition (that is, grade) in a coin. Most collectors are either collecting a series (Lincoln cents) or coins that interest them (type set).

Few collectors collect mint errors; fewer collectors look for very tiny mint errors or varities.

Wouldnt you be interested in the minor details? I have a quesiton...what do coin collectors look for in a coin? Are they concerned about mint errors and what type of coins are collectors interested in? I thought it was all for the money

If most coin collectors were in it for the money, they would be better served mowing lawns.

Chris

If most coin collectors were in it for the money, they would be better served mowing lawns.

Chris

I hear ya Chris!

moneyhoney, "Collecting" coins is a hobby. "Flippers" are in it for the money. By the sounds of it, you may need to figure out what you are getting coins for. Disecting coins to find something sellable can lead to a long road of losing money.

Boss Hog,

I am not buying or collecting...I am looking through these coins to be sure I have a winner so I can get the graded and sold. That will be the end of coins for me....thus I have to find out all that I can...I read about coins being sold for millions of dollars...surely someone became rich...

Boss Hog,

I am not buying or collecting...I am looking through these coins to be sure I have a winner so I can get the graded and sold. That will be the end of coins for me....thus I have to find out all that I can...I read about coins being sold for millions of dollars...surely someone became rich...

Coins that sell for millions of dollars are owned by people who already have millions of dollars.

Chris

Boss Hog,

I hear ya. I just wouldn't get all caught up in the frensy of get rich quick coins. They are few and far between. You could probably save yourself a lot of time by buying books that reference error coins, thier values and soo forth. If you get more out of the hobby by dissecting coins, then have at it my friend. Personally I feel that a hobby should be enjoyed and not labor and/or mentally intensive.

To add also: if you plan on getting out as soon as you sell what you have, why don't you just take them to a dealer and see what he offers?

To add also: if you plan on getting out as soon as you sell what you have, why don't you just take them to a dealer and see what he offers?

Absolutely! Just buying the things you do need to find out what you don't have is just a waste of money. Sell it! It didn't cost you anything in the first place.

Chris

You would be better served in learning how to photograph your coins than learning all the infinite variations that don't garner much profit.

If you can take an accurate photo of the coins and you list them on eBay like you are contemplating the coins will sell themselves. Countless collectors will review your auctions and spot anything that you miss. Trust me, I have found many unlisted variations on eBay and rarely am I alone.

You will invest way too much time and money (more time) than it sounds like it is worth to you in the end. Most of these guys on here have been studying numismatics for decades and none would claim to know it all....maybe...lol

Yes, they will most definitely spot things that I have missed...but then...what can I say...I expect that will happen...

I know there are so manyb things...I multitask..gardening, house cleaning...painting...cooking,,,..and spend a couple of hours with these coins...

Just as soon as i get finish with one bunch I found somethhing that I missed...so it's a win-lose type of thing for me...

I am going to get me a camera..or something..but I reallydont know what to get...so I am still searching...afraid I might get something that will not do what I need or expect...