• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEARCHING and SEARCHING posted by Six Mile Rick

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My eyes feel like large sticky bubbles!!!

Friends,

I don't know how the graders keep from having blurry vision. As I searched through another 4400 statehood quarters sometimes I hit a few rolls that are very lustrous. Of course these are what I am looking for and at first the hits and scratches are very easy to see. The quarters go into the spending pile quickly and the keepers are very few. By the end of 2 or 3 rolls of flipping full luster coins in a light the continuous reflection gets my eyes so blurry I can't go through the 8 coins saved out of 120 = 3 rolls to sellect the 4 I plan on submitting. I cover the select coins and leave for a hour or two. When I return I can then see the tiny minute scratches again and complete the search.

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

Man just reading what you are doing made my eyes blurry !!! I totally understand that after a few minutes of close scrutiny to me, they would all look the same. My eyeballs would be bouncing :makepoint:

Good luck finding a bunch of winners Rick

Thanks guys,

Well my new year commitment to my collection is to build the whole set of State hood Quarters from raw rolls. Of course NGC will enjoy that one but at the same time I will learn the right way to look at raw coins. My first submission for this venture in December gave me a MS68PL and I hope to get a couple more this time. I completed the roll searching and this afternoon started breaking down the selection to the best of each mint mark. 2005 will be a low year -- MS66s 2006 is looking a little better and I remember a few that were absolutely grand. This submission will cover 2005 to 2008 Mint State ------all the states except California. Ron had no rolls for that state to sell me.

I pay a extra dollar per roll so to me it is like a dollar lottery. Don't know what's in the roll till I find it and NGC gives me my winnings.

Later---Rick

Aloha, Sounds like you have some good finds there Rick. Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing about your results. Next time I will send an extra pair of my glasses ;)

I am an optician by trade (I make and sell eye glasses).

I would suggest getting glasses with an Anti-Reflective coating. It really helps reduce glare and it allows more light to pass into your eyes to put much less strain on them. Even if you don't need a prescription you can ask for PLANO lenses that have no power to them, just have AR coating.

I made up a pair of +20.00 glasses (the same as 5x magnifaction) and it has made coin searching so much easier and faster.