• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964-D Peace Dollars

45 posts in this topic

It seems the folks at PCGS are offering a "reward" for viewing (?) a genuine 1964-D Peace dollar. For those who are interested, or who might have several sitting around being used as ash trays, there is a lengthy chapter in the Guide Book of Peace Dollars (2nd, Whitman Publishing LLC) that presents facts about the coins (in contrast to the speculations on the WWW, etc.).

Buy the book before you buy one of the marked or unmarked fakes floating around.

PS: No judicial determination has ever been made that the coins are "illegal."

Ahhh...I guess that's it. Too bad about the mistakes in such a short announcement.

Here's one of them: "Mint records indicate 316,076 1964-dated silver Peace dollars were struck at the Denver Mint in May 1965, but they were all were supposed to be destroyed," said Don Willis, President of PCGS.

The coins were not counted. The quantity was a guess based on the calculated weight of metal used – but depending on which decimal place is used, the possible quantity struck could have been several hundred greater. A quick read of the Peace Dollar book would have given this information to the folks making the viewing offer.

Mint records actually present several different quantities, also.

If, through luck or circumstance, you had a '64-D peace dollar what would you do?

Go public (forget PCGS's lame reward) or quietly sit on it?

Lance.

Which dealer was it who made the big offer for a 1913 Liberty nickel (when he had all five coins already in his possession)?

It sounds like PCGS is taking a leaf out of his book?

on the other hand: Roger, do you think that, if a 1964-D Peace surfaced, the Secret Service would go after it with anything like the (misplaced, in my opinion) zeal they've gone after the 1933 double eagle?

Which dealer was it who made the big offer for a 1913 Liberty nickel (when he had all five coins already in his possession)?

on the other hand: Roger, do you think that, if a 1964-D Peace surfaced, the Secret Service would go after it with anything like the (misplaced, in my opinion) zeal they've gone after the 1933 double eagle?

It was B. Max Mehl. :)

It was Samuel Brown, not my Great Uncle, B. Max Mehl, who offered a reward for the 1913 Liberty Nickels at the time he had them in his possession.

Dave, I don't understand your comment about a leaf out of the book, unless you think PCGS has possession of one or more 1964-D Peace Dollars. And even if they did, they wouldn't be the owner of the coin(s), as was the case with Samuel Brown, when he offered a reward for the 1913 Liberty nickels.

Re: on the other hand: Roger, do you think that, if a 1964-D Peace surfaced, the Secret Service would go after it with anything like the (misplaced, in my opinion) zeal they've gone after the 1933 double eagle?

I don't have any idea what Treasury would or would not do. There are significent differences between the 1964-D dollars and 1933 DE.

Re: on the other hand: Roger, do you think that, if a 1964-D Peace surfaced, the Secret Service would go after it with anything like the (misplaced, in my opinion) zeal they've gone after the 1933 double eagle?

I don't have any idea what Treasury would or would not do. There are significent differences between the 1964-D dollars and 1933 DE.

What about this Roger?

1964PeaceDollarNotification.jpg

I don't recall where I picked up this image but the last paragraph implies that any piece found is subject to confiscation.

if i had the 1964 d peace dollar id sit quietly and enjoy it. i dont care to get visits from the criminals or government ( how ever you want to look at the previous 2 words ). some things are better left unsaid. jmo

Can anyone venture what the 64-D might realize if one were to be auctioned ?

How many are known at the time of the sale? Have they been deemed legal to own?

Without that information, there is absolutely no way to come up with a meaningful guess.

The Treasury news release is exactly what it states - a News Release. It states only the opinion of one lawyer at Treasury, and others felt that the statute of limitations removed any possibility of prosecution. I have a copy of the legal files and there wasn't much discussion except they wanted to add the last paragraph to the Press Release in an attempt to frighten anyone who might have one of the coins. (They were concerned about blank dollar planchets suddenly appearing on the market in 1973, and thought they were from the Denver dollar work. They wanted to introduce some fear into the coin market.)

If you read the chapter in the Peace Dollar book, you will learn how inaccurate the Denver Mint procedures were. Basically, it is impossible to know if all the pieces were destroyed. Then there is the possibility of one or two remaining at the Philadelphia Mint, where design trials were made on a medal press.

The Treasury news release is exactly what it states - a News Release. It states only the opinion of one lawyer at Treasury, and others felt that the statue of limitations removed any possibility of prosecution. I have a copy of the legal files and there wasn't much discussion except they wanted to add the last paragraph to the Press Release in an attempt to frighten anyone who might have one of the coins. (They were concerned about blank dollar planchets suddenly appearing on the market in 1973, and thought they were from the Denver dollar work. They wanted to introduce some fear into the coin market.)

If you read the chapter in the Peace Dollar book, you will learn how inaccurate the Denver Mint procedures were. Basically, it is impossible to know if all the pieces were destroyed. Then there is the possibility of one or two remaining at the Philadelphia Mint, where design trials were made on a medal press.

Thanks Roger!

PS: Treasury and Mint folks did not realize in 1972/73 that there were quite a few blank planchets in the silver dollar bags distributed in the early 1960s. Repackaging of some dollars was done in 1896 and 1899 and a blank planchet was found in about 1 out of ten bags.

Mark,

What I meant was that Samuel Brown made an offer that he knew he would never have to make good on because he knew that he had all five coins.

Mark,

What I meant was that Samuel Brown made an offer that he knew he would never have to make good on because he knew that he had all five coins.

Thanks Dave.

It was Samuel Brown, not my Great Uncle, B. Max Mehl, who offered a reward for the 1913 Liberty Nickels at the time he had them in his possession.

I stand corrected. Thank you! :blush:

It states only the opinion of one lawyer at Treasury, and others felt that the statute of limitations removed any possibility of prosecution.

Usually the statute of limitations doesn't start until you discover that a crime has been committed. So when one turns up then the SOL will START.

Are there any records of 1964 franklins ever made or am I dreaming?

Dreams - much like 1931 quarters

Hubs were made in September 1963 for Franklin halves, and working dies had been produced in anticipation of 1964 coinage. However, immediately after President Kennedy's assassination, all Franklin materials except the hubs were destroyed and the mint focused on the Kennedy half design, production and distribution. No 1964 Franklin coins were made.