• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964-D Peace Dollars

45 posts in this topic

unmarked fakes

;)

My 5th cousin on my mother's uncle's sister's dog's side worked at the mint as a press operator from 1960-1972, and gave me a few for my birthday a couple years back.

:whistle:

PS...more gov't shortsightedness in not turning over AT LEAST ONE to the Smithsonian.

:eyeroll:

unmarked fakes

;)

My 5th cousin on my mother's uncle's sister's dog's side worked at the mint as a press operator from 1960-1972, and gave me a few for my birthday a couple years back.

PS...more gov't shortsightedness in not turning over AT LEAST ONE to the Smithsonian.

The government gave (possibly it was a long term loan) the Smithsonian two 1933 Saints which they displayed so there is a precedent for giving them coins that would be illegal to own by the general public.

re: My 5th cousin on my mother's uncle's sister's dog's side worked at the mint as a press operator from 1960-1972, and gave me a few for my birthday a couple years back.

Sounds like a solid tip. If you will send your cousin's name to me, I'll check it against the list of people (and dogs) who working in the Denver Mint tramway building where the dollars were made.

Re: 1933 $20 Smithsonian. The SI had to pay for them at face value.

re: My 5th cousin on my mother's uncle's sister's dog's side worked at the mint as a press operator from 1960-1972, and gave me a few for my birthday a couple years back.

Sounds like a solid tip. If you will send your cousin's name to me, I'll check it against the list of people (and dogs) who working in the Denver Mint tramway building where the dollars were made.

Re: 1933 $20 Smithsonian. The SI had to pay for them at face value.

Sounds like the SI got a real bargain.

unmarked fakes

;)

The government gave (possibly it was a long term loan) the Smithsonian two 1933 Saints which they displayed so there is a precedent for giving them coins that would be illegal to own by the general public.

There is one major difference, however. Unlike in the case of the 1933 Saints, I believe the government has denied that any 1964-D Peace Dollars still exist.

Can someone explain to me why the government can't simply issue a declaration that 1964-D Peace Dollars are legal tender? What is the harm in doing so?

I would like to see that done. But, it could be said that such action would encourage people to obtain and/or retain certain coins from the mint, when they were not supposed to do so. And to profit for such acts.

There is one major difference, however. Unlike in the case of the 1933 Saints, I believe the government has denied that any 1964-D Peace Dollars still exist.

The coin resides in Area 51!

The coin resides in "Area 64" along with Elvis' underpants, and the ark of the covenant.

.....right next to Area 63......where convalesent Space Aliens play poker with the clones of Dead Rock Stars and Famous Politicians. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's the spot! Those eight-eyed "Octometrists" are great fun!

.......yes, but they cheat like convicts.....beat me out of the rent money AND my cab fare.....GOD BLESS...

The coin resides in "Area 64" along with Elvis' underpants, and the ark of the covenant.

Where's Area 64?

...it's in a folding dimension in the liquor cabinet of an undisclosed wet bar in Area 51. GOD BLESS....

Can someone explain to me why the government can't simply issue a declaration that 1964-D Peace Dollars are legal tender? What is the harm in doing so?

They could but what would be the point? I could see it now. "The 1964-D Peace dollar is now legal tender. Of course it is still the property of the US Government and illegal for members of the public to own."

There that really helped didn't it.