• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CAC a guarantee of originality?

26 posts in this topic

I understand that no service is going to be infallible, but when it comes to trying to determine if a coin has original surfaces and hasn't been mucked with, is CAC certification a pretty good guarantee of that? It seems like the TPG services will let unoriginal surfaces slide by depending upon grade... correct me if I'm wrong.

CAC makes no distinction for or against original surfaces. In many cases though, an original coin has a better shot of stickering than one that has obvious problems, in my experience.

No. Nor is anyone or anything else, with one exception. And that is (with some exaggeration) when someone buys a coin directly from the mint and never lets it out of their sight.

Even then, depending upon storage conditions, it is possible that the coin will take on an appearance which is deemed by observers to be unoriginal.

John has said that dipping is ok (within reason) and that copper spots are ok on gold also with reason.

Coins that are mucked with, boinked or played with are not to be stickered

MJ

I only own TWO CAC stickered coins and both of them are 100% original----they are just awesome.

That being said----I have seen a few coins that were quite dipped out and green-beaned but they do tend to 'like' original coins at CAC. The nicer ones FAR outweigh the bad ones that I've seen.

If that is what you like (originality), then CAC is a great place to start to find such coins. :) I bid on a THIRD CAC coin that was 100% original but I was the under-bidder. :(

It is just like anything else----you have to use your own judgement but I am quite happy with my two green beans and yes dipping is allowed to some extent and I have only seen a few cases of excessively dipped coins with beans.

That settles that!

...i really don't think so........ :devil:

Why not?

There is no question or legitimate debate regarding the facts/answer pertaining to the subject.

That settles that!

...i really don't think so........ :devil:

Why not?

There is no question or legitimate debate regarding the facts/answer pertaining to the subject.

...mark, did you notice the :devil:?

I understand that no service is going to be infallible, but when it comes to trying to determine if a coin has original surfaces and hasn't been mucked with, is CAC certification a pretty good guarantee of that? It seems like the TPG services will let unoriginal surfaces slide by depending upon grade... correct me if I'm wrong.

There is no universally accepted group of criteria that define "original".

I asked John Albanese yesterday exactly what CAC means. Guess if you're gonna ask someone, he's the right person! :)

Don't keep us in suspense. What was his reply?

lol, well I'm trying to recall if the word "original" was used :) It was a bit crazy for me, but what I understood, and it seems like he over simplified it for a beginner like me, was that if you take a CAC coin and break it out of its holder, its guaranteed to be authentic and grade exactly the same. I understood this as some slabbed coins when closely examined, might not actually grade the same as whats been printed on the slab. I'm sure this goes a lot deeper than that...

lol, well I'm trying to recall if the word "original" was used :) It was a bit crazy for me, but what I understood, and it seems like he over simplified it for a beginner like me, was that if you take a CAC coin and break it out of its holder, its guaranteed to be authentic and grade exactly the same. I understood this as some slabbed coins when closely examined, might not actually grade the same as whats been printed on the slab. I'm sure this goes a lot deeper than that...

Sorry, but that sounds highly inaccurate to me and not something JA would say. After all, he can't guarantee anything about the results, if an NGC or PCGS coin is cracked out of its holder and submitted for grading.

What he basically said is that a coin in a slab with a grade should be worth the same if its cracked out and sold raw. That is what the CAC sticker defines, the grade of the coin regardless of the plastic around it.

Coins CAC does not sticker are those that have a $10,000 coin with a $20,000 piece of plastic around it (meaning they are overgraded).

Sorry, but that sounds highly inaccurate to me and not something JA would say. After all, he can't guarantee anything about the results, if an NGC or PCGS coin is cracked out of its holder and submitted for grading.

Yeah, I suppose a guarantee is bold to say. Looks like I just mis-interpreted what he was trying to say. Ankur is more on point.

What he basically said is that a coin in a slab with a grade should be worth the same if its cracked out and sold raw. That is what the CAC sticker defines, the grade of the coin regardless of the plastic around it.

Coins CAC does not sticker are those that have a $10,000 coin with a $20,000 piece of plastic around it (meaning they are overgraded).

I have a slight problem with this interpretation.

Define Grade and the criteria used.

I just bought one of these "bean" coins and I like it.....a lot. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u