• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a picture of your favorite coin purchased in 2012.

20 posts in this topic

Post a picture of your favorite coin purchased in 2012. It would also be nice if you would give a brief explanation of why it was your favorite coin purchase. For example, for some people it might be finding an extremely rare coin and/or die marriage, for others it might be the full strike on a normally mushy date/mm, for others it might be best bang for the buck, for others it might be their most expensive purchase... whatever it is for you, it'd be nice to find out.

All in all, I think this one is probably my favorite purchase for the year. I'm trying to put together a 1940 - 1964 toned set of Washingtons in (predominantly) MS66. This one is a PCGS MS66. The reason that it is my all around favorite coin for the year is that it is very clean for the grade and has spectacular toning for the date/mm.

Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year to You and Yours!!!

sc1944SWA.jpg

sc1944SWArev.jpg

I am posting two coins. Cause I could not decide

The 1888 Morgan was acquired from Mark and I absolutely love this coin. (Yes, posted again) :grin:

But, this 1888 Liberty Nickel is also amazing. The strike is absolutely hammered, exquisitely sharp detail and blooming luster elevated this specimen to the top of my V collection.

Happy New Year!

OP

133338.jpg.0966b7c48bcc972961d1f3ef4950ff31.jpg

133339.jpg.d4153aca398db6f659575bca4730a417.jpg

If I had to decide, it would be the 1807 Quarter Eagle PCGS XF45 CAC. This is a type which is very difficult to obtain with a CAC sticker in affordable grade. It was the last type I needed for my draped bust gold set. I was very happy that Doug Winter sold this to me on contingency of it CAC'g, which is did.

1807qtreagle.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!! :)

I've decided to post this plain white 1879-o Morgan and putting it in the "most bang for the buck" category.

It's graded MS64+. In MS65 the price jumps up dramatically and I'm telling you,in my humble opinion, this one is a 65 all day long!!! Maybe all the awesome die cracks distracted the graders.

1879-omorgancombohoriz.jpg

I paid stupid money for this but it remains my favorite US coin purchased in 2012:

redfield-1.jpg

redfield-2.jpg

Better photos one day.

....nice to see an MS example without bag marks......beautiful coin. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

1937otherbuffs005.jpg1937otherbuffs006.jpg

Happy new year to all.

......so THAT'S what a Buffalo nickle with full details looks like.....stunning. GOD BLESS....

This is the first coin that I ever spent, for me, serious money on. It was priced a little higher than recent sales, but it had nice eye appeal and fit my famous dates in history type set..... 1881....Gunfight at OK Corral / Tombstone, Arizona. This is my first 19th Century Proof and from a series I really like. This year only had a mint run of 24,000.......I thought that was kind of cool.....less than 1000 Proofs. Luckily I don't mind eating Lima beans for 2 months. Someday I hope to have an Ultra Cameo from this time frame....too rich for my blood right now. GOD BLESS....

SL1881PROOFslab.jpg

I wish all a great 2013 and hope your 2013 purchases are even better then the incredible coins you shared from 2012. Every coin absloutely wonderful!!

Thank you for sharing. Viewing them is a nice way to start the new year.

Still can not get pictures from my computer into here-I'll ask for help in another post. My favorite purchase can be viewed here: http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/coin_show_archives.asp?cert=251618602

Happy New Year!

My favorite purchase for 2012 was the 1796 No Stars Quarter eagle that completed my type set. Given that I've posted that a few times I'll pust #2, a 1652 Pine Tree Three Pence.

PineTree3PenceO.jpgPineTree3PenceR.jpg

Not really coins, but my favorite purchases of 2012.

The ship I spent 4 yrs 1 month and 27 days aboard.

enterprise_zpsac0474e5.jpg

Just a super cool piece that I've only seen for sale a few times. I paid a premium but I didn't mind too much.

lincoln_zps06ad47ea.jpg