• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Display Your Collection

23 posts in this topic

Just wondering how others display their collections. I combine my 1800's firearms with my GSA's of the same era all placed in a case built by my dad back in the 1970's.

All of the guns are original family owned and handed down over the years with the oldest being the 1873 Winchester (the gun that won the west). Goes well with the Carson City's which were the coins of the wild west.

Chet

133258.jpg.14a401b965d9d736c128bda371ae6fce.jpg

That's a fun looking collection!

For the most part my collection is in the SDB. The way I "display" it is to have the coins all imaged, and, where possible, placed into a Registry set. Then I just call up either the "Slideshow" webpage or one of the "Gallery" pages, and leave that up and running on my computer.

Chet, it's a lovely display case your Dad made, but aren't you concerned about the gun oils and solvents affecting the Morgans. I know those GSA cases aren't hermetically sealed to protect them.

Chris

Chet, it's a lovely display case your Dad made, but aren't you concerned about the gun oils and solvents affecting the Morgans. I know those GSA cases aren't hermetically sealed to protect them.

Chris

This is exactly what I was going to post. I had one coin in an old safe, and I didn't know that my father had firearms, gun powder, oils, solvents, and the like in the safe. The coin turned. It wasn't too terribly expensive, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but I definitely wouldn't put your GSA Morgan Dollars with them!!!

Nice display. I would think that as old as the firearms are that the possibility of oil and gunpowder are not an issue unless these are used frequently. (shrug)

Certainly a valid concern. First, they are only displayed on special occasions and when we have guests over. I take them out to protect from thieft. As for the guns, there is no solvents. They have not been fired (or cleaned) for over 80 years. As for oil, they are in more of a dry state with very little oil. I only handle them with gloves to prevent transfer of my hand oils to the steel.

I store my active hunting guns in a different cabinent. Those have more oil and solvents present which would be a concern. I am confident the enviroment within the cabinent is inert and completly safe. Even if I kept them in there all the time. I, like Skyman have photo's to draw from but find folks like to see the real thing. They tend to ask more questions and show more interest when they are on display.

As an FYI, the only place where I have had storage problems is in my safe (guns were not present).

Thanks for your comments.

Chet

Irv

The top is a 16ga. Ithaca Bativia Leader double barrel dating in the 1890's. The middle is an Ithaca Twin Hammer 12 ga. side x side dating in the 1880's. Both damascus twist barrels. The Winchester is an 1873 .38 cal. (model 3) octagon barrel. Purchased by my G.Grandfather in 1893 and used during the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1893.

What you don't see in the cabinet (maybe the barrel) is the 1901 Colt Double Action (DA) .38 revolver (near mint condition) with wood grips and a 1903/1923 Colt .32 pistol w/clip. So what do I use for hunting? My Grandfathers 12ga Remington Model 11 which dates around 1910. But every now and then, I just might pull out Dad's old Ithaca 16ga double barrel s x s for fun. Guess I just like and use things which are old...... And why I appreciate older coins.

Chet

Irv

The top is a 16ga. Ithaca Bativia Leader double barrel dating in the 1890's. The middle is an Ithaca Twin Hammer 12 ga. side x side dating in the 1880's. Both damascus twist barrels. The Winchester is an 1873 .38 cal. (model 3) octagon barrel. Purchased by my G.Grandfather in 1893 and used during the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1893.

What you don't see in the cabinet (maybe the barrel) is the 1901 Colt Double Action (DA) .38 revolver (near mint condition) with wood grips and a 1903/1923 Colt .32 pistol w/clip. So what do I use for hunting? My Grandfathers 12ga Remington Model 11 which dates around 1910. But every now and then, I just might pull out Dad's old Ithaca 16ga double barrel s x s for fun. Guess I just like and use things which are old...... And why I appreciate older coins.

Chet

Was the Winchester re-blued? If not, from all appearances, it is in a remarkable state of preservation.

Very nice collection and presentation of coins and firearms.

Carl

Your dad did a great job on the case. I love how he made the wood rests the guns sit on. Lots of work in just those parts. If you get a chance, please post an image of the whole case.

My humble two cents......I would have only one CC dollar displayed and try to find other smaller items of the period to balance out the presentation. I think having so many dollars distracts the eye from the guns themselves which are the primary reason for the display. Plus once you've seen one GSA CC dollar from afar, they all look the same.

Irv

Chet

Sure are some sweet guns. I have a 20 ga. Remington Model 11. I love this gun as you know these look like a Browning semi auto. Great way to display them. (thumbs u

Here is the case without the coins. And although it displays well without the coins, most of our guest actually take a closer look when the coins are included. Guess they have seen or own their share of guns (maybe not in a display) but not mint state type coins..

Thanks for all your responses...

Chet

133331.jpg.0140893ee6f57c492a37400f4c99d68a.jpg