• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Intercept Products

25 posts in this topic

I have been a long-time collector and have used intercept products for the long term storage of my collection. However, ever since Intercept Shield products were no longer available late last year, I have been trying to find a replacement.

Since I could not, I decided to create my own products for the storage of coins and collectibles. I have a passion for the proper storage and preservation of numismatics and I hope you find the website useful.

www.coinarmour.com

kind regards,

Chris

I took a look at your website. I think you might want to get larger pictures of the product. Can't tell exactly what they are, but they seem to be some sort of bag like what electronic products come in. Any help there? Will there be storage boxes for these?

I have to agree with Coindude that your photos should be larger.

Also, as Coindude asked, will there be storage boxes? I miss the white Intercept Shield boxes that held 20 NGC or PCGS slabs. These fit perfectly into a safe deposit box and were easy to label.

Offer something like this and you have my attention.

I have to agree with Coindude that your photos should be larger.

Also, as Coindude asked, will there be storage boxes? I miss the white Intercept Shield boxes that held 20 NGC or PCGS slabs. These fit perfectly into a safe deposit box and were easy to label.

Offer something like this and you have my attention.

My thoughts exactly!! I checked the site also and as you sell the bags in 30 count -- If you were to offer a box that holds 10 - 20 safety shield bagged coins it may increase interest in purchases.

Thanks.

If you click on the product page, you can click on the image which will show enlarged detail.

Regarding the boxes, the old Intercept Shield individual boxes sell on the aftermarket for about $3/piece on ebay if you can find them. Also, those boxes are not airtight. If you have alot of coins, this is a very expensive way to store them. Also, the old Intercept boxes that hold 20 or so slabs had issues where the intercept material will peel off the box.

Our small bags cost .65 cents/piece and are airtight (they have a zipper seal which is key to avoiding corrosion). Once the slab is placed in the bag, you can store the slab in any box you want or directly into the safe deposit box. Whatever works best for you, since the bag itself contains the Intercept material. The slabs with the bags, will even fit inside the hard plastic NGC or PCGS boxes.

kind regards,

Chris

What are the effects of half the bag being poly? I dont know the science behind the intercept material as far as radial coverage, but the site spends a good portion talking down the poly bags, but these bags are half poly themselves? Does the intercept material protect just being in the area despite not fully encapsulating the coins in intercept material?

What are the effects of half the bag being poly? I dont know the science behind the intercept material as far as radial coverage, but the site spends a good portion talking down the poly bags, but these bags are half poly themselves? Does the intercept material protect just being in the area despite not fully encapsulating the coins in intercept material?

The storage bags are 1/2 clear poly and 1/2 Intercept. Clear poly is used so you can easily identify the coin in the bag. When sealed, the intercept material creates a micro environment that is free of all harmful gases. Any gases that penetrate the clear poly will be immediately attracted to the Intercept material and not onto the coins surface. There is no reduction in Intercept effectiveness by using 1/2 clear poly.

Intercept is an active barrier that removes airborne contaminants.

If you store coins in clear poly only, you are trapping harmful gases inside the bag, that can cause corrosion, and any gases that penetrate the poly bag will also be trapped and cause corrosion.

Just to clarify, Coin Armour bags seal airtight, whether they are bags for coins, currency or comics.

Proper sealing has been a focus of mine, and I will continue this focus as I develop new products.

Just to clarify, Coin Armour bags seal airtight, whether they are bags for coins, currency or comics.

Proper sealing has been a focus of mine, and I will continue this focus as I develop new products.

Hope you don't mind some more questions, but I do have some...

I do know you can order 'intercept' full poly/zipper bags from places like University Products. I am also assuming the poly bags you use are archival safe. That being said, how did you go about testing this product before releasing it?

Please let me know, as I like the concept. Thank you.

'mint'

I do know you can order 'intercept' full poly/zipper bags from places like University Products. I am also assuming the poly bags you use are archival safe. That being said, how did you go about testing this product before releasing it?

'mint'

Thanks for the question.

Both the clear poly side of the bag and the Intercept side are made from archival safe polyethylene. Specifically our bags use Corrosion Intercept Clarity, which is typically used in light industrial, museum, archival and retail applications. Intercept also meets Cleanroom 100 standards, and is approved for use by NASA.

While an airtight seal is not a requirement for Intercept to remove airborne contaminants, it is recommended that airflow is restricted as a continual source. Since I wanted to ensure that airflow does not exist within the bag, I added a zipper seal similar to a zip loc bag.

Also the size of our bags are specifically designed to hold coin slabs, currency holders, and comic book holders, with minimal excess material.

Hope this helps.

I think your product is interesting. If you develop future products, I suggest that you build an intercept shield like slab box that comes in a resealable pouch (like the poly bags that you mention). This would be an interesting combination.

I think your product is interesting. If you develop future products, I suggest that you build an intercept shield like slab box that comes in a resealable pouch (like the poly bags that you mention). This would be an interesting combination.

Thanks for your suggestion...At this point an intercept shield like box with a resealable pouch is not on the table for a couple of reasons...1) the box won't offer any additional protection beyond what the bag can offer, and 2) cost of that type of system would be cost prohibitive for storing large amounts of slabs and finally, the bag gives you flexibility to store in any type of box you want.

'mint'

Thanks for the question.

Both the clear poly side of the bag and the Intercept side are made from archival safe polyethylene. Specifically our bags use Corrosion Intercept Clarity, which is typically used in light industrial, museum, archival and retail applications. Intercept also meets Cleanroom 100 standards, and is approved for use by NASA.

While an airtight seal is not a requirement for Intercept to remove airborne contaminants, it is recommended that airflow is restricted as a continual source. Since I wanted to ensure that airflow does not exist within the bag, I added a zipper seal similar to a zip loc bag.

Also the size of our bags are specifically designed to hold coin slabs, currency holders, and comic book holders, with minimal excess material.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for clarifying. Yes, this does help. I am interested in these. I think a lot of individuals are used to the old intercept 'slab' boxes (I use several of these as well). That being said, they are used to having the 'protection' contained within a box. While I like the bag idea, others may insist on a way to organize a multiple amount of these bags in a central source. Therefore, while I and some other collectors are happy with individual bags; it may behove you to also offer some kind of holder for these bags. This may help those who are used to having an over box or holder of some type. Just a suggestion, as perception is everything sometimes.

I will order some soon.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Yes, and I was refering to the old Intercept Shield products. Your sealing attempts are a major improvement.

I wanted to take a minute and comment on a recent post I saw on another coin chat board. The post discussed a method of storing coins, whereby, coin slabs are placed inside individual poly bags, and then multiple slabbed coins in individual poly bags are placed inside a larger poly bag, to which an oxygen (O2) absorber is placed. I am guessing the concept is to remove oxygen from the environment surrounding the coin, which will prevent oxidation (or toning).

This may sound intuitive, given the term "oxidation", unfortunately, the process of oxidation does not require oxygen. In fact, "oxidation" is a process whereby a compound undergoes a reaction that removes an electron. O2 is very stable and has a limited impact on the corrosion of coins. Keep in mind, air is only about 20% O2, 78% nitrogen, and 2% of other stuff.

The primary causes of corrosion are the reaction of metals within the coin with Sulfur and Chlorine. In fact, Sulfur reacts so quickly, that other gases don't stand a chance.

In short, O2 absorbers remove only oxygen. Intercept removes all harmful gases including Sulfur and Chlorine and creates a microenvironment once sealed within our bags.

I urge everyone to take the time and learn about proper storage and preservation...this will ensure your collection/investment will be properly protected.

thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I Mainly collect Mint, Proof, & Silver Sets in boxes from the mint. As you know, most have 4 to 5 Coins in each Plastic Mint Holder. The Pennies thru the Quarters.

Do you have, or have any plans to make these. I haven't measured them, but I believe they are around 4 x 6 or something like that.

For instance the Silver State Quarter I collect are 5 to a Plastic Holder. Quite bigger than what you sell.

I feel like the can get Air & Moisture over time, even though the Boxes Have Not been opened.

If you do, Please let me know...

Thanks J3 (Jim)

Hi Jim

We also offer 7 1/2 x 9 bags. These were designed for the large format NGC slabs for 5 ounce 12 ounce, and kilo size coins, however, this should also work well for your proof sets. You can probably fit multiple sets in one bag.

We should have in stock bags that hold PMG holders for currency and CGC holders for comics any day now. We added UV protection to these two bags.

Thanks,

Chris

Here is a link to another coin chat board that focuses solely on China coins and discusses the impact of corrosion.

China coins is one area of collecting that I have focused significantly on. Unfortunately the article is written in Chinese, but the pictures speak a thousand words regarding the effects of corrosion.

Knowing the adminstrators on the chat board, I am sure they will translate sooner rather than later.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=7783.msg45350;topicseen#msg45350

I wanted to follow up on a couple of points regarding the material Corrosion Intercept.

Coin Armour bags utilize Corrosion Intercept which is copper in color, and will change to black when it is saturated with harmful gases. When this happens it is time to change the bag.

Intercept Shield products that are being sold used on ebay used Static Intercept which is black in color. The only difference is Static Intercept dissipates static electricity and works well when shipping electronic components.

When Static Intercept becomes saturated with harmful gases, it does not turn color....it is always black. Therefore you have no idea if what you a are buying is going to work. You don't know the environment the box was used in, how old the box is, and if the interecept material is still going to protect your coins.

You have to keep in mind that any Intercept material has a shelf life. The nice thing about our bags, is it has a built in time clock. The effectiveness solely depends on the environment you are storing in.

For those who are interested, the currency and comic bags arrived. These contain UV protection.

I have also added some additional research material.

http://www.coinarmour.com/Research_Contact_Us.html

Alot of questions have been coming in about copper spots on gold coins. Copper spots are the result of impurities in the gold that are concentrated during the melting process to make the coins. The impurities mainly consist of silver and copper. When these elements come in contact with harmful gases, they will oxidize, and form spots. Intercept can and will eliminate these gases.