• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Year, new submission

6 posts in this topic

First one to start the new year

Season's greetings everyone,

Well, last evening I decided to get an early start on the new year and I filled out the forms to submit 2 more rounds of coins for grading. An Early Bird submission and a Modern submission. Between the 2 submissions are more Franklin proofs (I can't seem to get enough, lol) and some really sweet Lincoln proofs for my Abe's Red Hots collection. Included in my Early Bird submission is a really nice and well defined MS Lincoln 1909 VDB penny.

I have been asked by a few about the name of my Lincoln collection (Abe's Red Hots) When I set up this collection and when it came time to put a monikor on it, that name just came into my thoughts from my college age years. I live in the city where the University of Illinois is located and on campus back in the late 60's and early 70's there used to be this small business on Green Street. (Green Street is the main drag through campus town) That business had the absolute best hot dogs you could imagine. Of course the name of the business was Abe's Red Hots. So I decided on using that name in memory of the many times we would stop in at Abe's to wind the evening down from bar hopping on campus and have an Abe's hotdog. Was so sad to see Abe's close up later on but it will always be one of those fond memory's of my younger, wilder days.

Mike

See more journals by moondoggy

Hey Mike, I grabbed a 1961 proof set from the Silver Shop this morning. That Franklin sure looks good in it, heck they all look good. I will know a little better when I get them out of the mint package. He asked me to send in a sweet looking merc 1941 proof for him along with a 1879 shield nickle. I have a selection of over 150 coins ready to send in for submission when I make the extra cash I need.

Later---Rick

Good luck Rick on all those submissions. Wow 150, that kinda makes you a major submitter doesn't

it ? (lol) Where did you say your gold mine was located ........

Is there any frost on the Franklin ? 1961 Franklins are a great find in cameo. They will only go up in value. Keep me posted on your Benny.

Great story Mike,

Reminds me of the old Kuhio Grill on South King St. in Honolulu near the University of Hawaii. They had the best pupu's at that place back in the 70's a hot spot people would go to after the fooball games at the old honolulu stadium. When I got back after a stint in the Army I went down there to check it out and they were closing the doors and drinking up the last of the japanese beer.

Great memories, think I'm going to have too come up with a set.

thanks for the inspiration!

Merlin8*