• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now NGC is doing it? High Relief 1921

23 posts in this topic

Doing what?

Putting "High Relief" on the holder. PCGS did it seemingly randomly in the past and it just seems odd to do it sometimes and not others. As if implying there are both high relief and non high relief 21s

As if implying there are both high relief and non high relief 21s

It implies in my mind only that there are both high relief (1921 coins) and non-high relief coins (post 1921 based on extrinsic knowledge). I think it is accurate, and don't have a problem with it. I think NGC has been labeling the coins as high relief for some time.

I agree with you, it's weird and pointless. I have also once heard a dealer try and up-sell a customer on one of the HR holders saying that the services only put it on the holder when the coin is very well struck like a FBL, FH or FS designation which is all out false. It should be all or nothing to avoid common confusion.

That is my concern. For the uninformed this can be a scam window of opportunity as you deailed in your story. Especially since there are 1922 examples where the HR designation DOES mean a very large monetary windfall. It seems the HR words on the 21s are put on a very small percentage of the total pop so if a dealer shows a buyer 50 p$ without it then 1 that says it, it will seem like it actually means something. Especially when the same generation holders have the varying.

The holder has read this way for as long as I can remember.

Consignments96038.jpg

You should sell this one to me so all of your holders are uniform. ;)

Thats my only 21!(for now) And its in the collection for good hopefully! The first one in my OP was from ebay just to show the words.

As if implying there are both high relief and non high relief 21s

It implies in my mind only that there are both high relief (1921 coins) and non-high relief coins (post 1921 based on extrinsic knowledge). I think it is accurate, and don't have a problem with it. I think NGC has been labeling the coins as high relief for some time.

As my picture shows thats not the case. If you look at ebay you will see a lot more 21s without the words then with. New generation prong holders and older ones alike.

I agree with you, it's weird and pointless. I have also once heard a dealer try and up-sell a customer on one of the HR holders saying that the services only put it on the holder when the coin is very well struck like a FBL, FH or FS designation which is all out false. It should be all or nothing to avoid common confusion.

That's very disturbing. Was the dealer truly that naive or was he or she trying to take advantage of an uninformed buyer?

That's very disturbing. Was the dealer truly that naive or was he or she trying to take advantage of an uninformed buyer?

It was several years ago and I have never done business with him so I can only guess but considering he had well over 100k of coins in his case I would tend to doubt the naive option. Maybe he was spreading an urban grading legend would be about the best spin I could come up with. I forget the name but have seen him around at several big shows, smaller Asian man, maybe Vietnamese and definitely owned the table.

I thought we just saw a post on this recently, didn't we? The information is not wrong, it is just explicit. What's the complaint here?

I don't see the harm, and I also don't really buy "anecdotal" stories about people trying to be swindled by such information. Anyone who is a serious enough collector to lay down money for an MS graded 1921 Peace dollar should know that they are all high relief.

Just my 2 cents...

I thought we just saw a post on this recently, didn't we? The information is not wrong, it is just explicit. What's the complaint here?

I don't see the harm, and I also don't really buy "anecdotal" stories about people trying to be swindled by such information. Anyone who is a serious enough collector to lay down money for an MS graded 1921 Peace dollar should know that they are all high relief.

Just my 2 cents...

The complaint is the inconsistency. Either do it or dont do it, across the board.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Adding HIGH RELIEF was a marketing decision, not a numismatic one. I believe the Red Book labels it this way, too, and dealers didn't want customers to be disappointed by not seeing it. The situation is similar to specifying RAYS on 1866 nickels and ARROWS on 1874 dimes; they don't exist without those features, but many type coin buyers expect to see them.

Of course now that we do have holders where some say high relief and some don't I'm sure there will be some dealers that will try to sell the high relief labeled slabs at a premium over the ones that "aren't" high relief.