• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holiday gifts of coins and bullion.

11 posts in this topic

This will be my first Christmas where when my father asked what I was looking for and I said "Silver Eagles."

He doesn't know much about coins so when I flew up to CT on Tuesday last week, he gave me the money, I bought the ASEs and then he put them under the tree.. (shrug)

Over the past 7 years, 5 of my older cousins got married and had children. I decided to buy a Roll of BU 2012 ASEs , put them each in plastic flips to give to them. Most likely I will give them to my cousins to hold on to for their kids. I don't even know if I will need to "Gift" all 20 ASEs, so I guess I get to keep what is left? :grin:

I know many people buy coins and bullion to give as gifts. Curious as to why. For example, you might have an Aunt who, when you were a kid, got you lego's or Hot Wheels because your mother or father told her you liked building things and cars.

Do you buy coins or bullion as gifts to give to your child/children as an investment for them or because you want to pass down your hobby?

Do you gift coins or bullion to family and close friends using the same concept as if you were to buy them a new Nike putter or an Action Figure? (They are a weekend golfer and will appreciate the new putter. They admire Bat-Man and you know they will love the latest Bat-Man action figure).

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

-Dave

I have given Silver Eagles as gifts for newborns, Christmas, and other special occasions. The reason is, I forget to buy a gift so, at the last moment, I run to my safe, whip out a Silver eagle in a neat box. WHA LAH! Instant cool gift!

Here's one for you

133114.jpg.8be8068ff7c3069aa7ccec06e6906c51.jpg

:signfunny:

You do what I do except when I don't have any silver bullion in my safe, I go to the Liqour Store (if the person is of age) or I buy them a gift card of they are under 21.

I rarely have certified ASEs on hand because I focus on buying high MS and PF Franklins, Morgans, Peace, WLHs, SLQs, Washingtons, Mercs and Roosevelts

Good to have coins like you showed as a "fall back" plan. hm I wouldn't mind receiving one of those if you have extra. :banana::grin:.

-Dave

:signfunny:

You do what I do except when I don't have any silver bullion in my safe, I go to the Liqour Store (if the person is of age) or I buy them a gift card of they are under 21.

I rarely have certified ASEs on hand because I focus on buying high MS and PF Franklins, Morgans, Peace, WLHs, SLQs, Washingtons, Mercs and Roosevelts

Good to have coins like you showed as a "fall back" plan. hm I wouldn't mind receiving one of those if you have extra. :banana::grin:.

-Dave

I have a stash of uncertified Silver Eagles. The gift recipient would have to be someone special to get a certified coin......like my wife for example! :insane:

The only person that actually collects in my family is my step-dad and my real dad has a few coins, so I purchase an extra Proof & Uncirc SAE's each year to send them for Christmas.

I have given an ASE for a birth of a child, just because at the time the mint wasn't doing birth year sets and I thought it was cool to look back at coins that were given to my folks when I was born.

For Christmas, I give both of my nephews silver eagles....been doing it for a few years now. I figure they get enough junk from everyone else, might as well have something that will be useful/worth something if they are ever in a pinch later in life. Before I started giving them eagles, I would sometime buy them a nice Morgan or something along those lines. Who knows, maybe one of them will start collecting one day.

This year I am giving my Dad a certified 1882-S Morgan Dollar that was graded MS 63 by our host. It is a clean, sharp & lustrous cartwheel. He loves Morgan dollars and is the main person responsible for my love of coins. I can't wait to give it to him.

For Christmas, I give both of my nephews silver eagles....been doing it for a few years now. I figure they get enough junk from everyone else, might as well have something that will be useful/worth something if they are ever in a pinch later in life. Before I started giving them eagles, I would sometime buy them a nice Morgan or something along those lines. Who knows, maybe one of them will start collecting one day.

100% right on the money.

When it comes to giving nephews ASEs or coins in general, I give them ASEs for their future.

I was born in 1990 and when I was growing up, I would get Patriot Bonds up until 2009. On my 21st Birthday, I got a 1oz Gold Krugerrand (Spelling?) from my Grandfather, but I either got checks, gift cards or everything except Silver from the rest of my family.

I don't think many of my aunts and uncles even know where to buy Bullion. (shrug)

..Except from me ofcourse :grin:

Hope everyone is enjoying Christmas Eve. Be safe and enjoy the Holiday Season.

-Dave

Merry Christmas everyone!

To answer your question Dave, I buy both bullion and coins as gifts. A few years ago I also started out with certified ASE's to all my older nephews. their first gift included that year's NGC graded MS-69 Silver Eagles and a NGC box to hold their slabs. I also included a different book from Krause Pub'l. to get them started on understanding what they have. They have grown to love getting the coins. Whatever you decide to do start a little smaller with the gift so your feelings aren't hurt if they don't appreciate the wonderful thought.

Tom

PS for birthdays I alternate with lower graded slabbed Merc'.s, Standing Liberty quarters etc