• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on another toned coin, peace dollar.

33 posts in this topic

Well the last thread concerning the toned morgan dollar from teletrade recieved a lot of feedback so I am posting this coin to see what you all think.

This coin is on eBay and I am in no way spamming it, I just found it unique and I think at the price the seller is asking it will be on eBay for awhile. I don't particularly like this coin and am surprised to see it in an NGC problem free holder. What are your thoughts and how do you think this toning came about?

Nick

KGrHqMOKi0E6O3eThWBQyrenT8Q60_57.jpg

T2eC16RHJIE9qSO8mt9BQyrehMN3w60_57.jpg

KGrHqFjEFCYMslDPBQyreZehT60_57.jpg

I don't like it, I think its ugly, and I wouldn't buy it. I don't care who's plastic its in, I do not consider that Market Acceptable.

What are you trying to say, Jason?

Chris

Thanks for posting this certainly strange looking creation, fine photos! Seems to have been partly soaked in something or other, and probably the buyer will in turn get soaked.

As our tone-philosopher Kurtdog has explained on various occasions, if I understand him properly, this and any other type of toning is just one or another form of corrosion, and the terms we often hear, artificial vs natural, are arbitrary and worthless. In effect those two terms amount to our subjective assessment as to whether the coloration appears to have been cooked up on short notice with devious intentions (= AT), or if it appears to probably have occurred without the doer being fully conscious they had engineered an environment where the coloration would gradually develop (= NT).

With this particular corrosion, it could have happened accidentally in someone's basement or garage, or have happened intentionally in a laboratory. But I really suspect this coin was found along the roadside after environmental damage from a winter's exposure to weather and highway chemicals, but it was not actually run over by vehicles.

The toning looks natural and somewhat attractive to me. I don't fully understand much of the negativity about it.

Hey, I for one didn't declare it to be unattractive. But after taking a second peek at it, please allow me to guess just how it happened to tone like that:

It was in someone's coin collection inside a PVC flip wherein it sustained only a small amount of PVC damage, but the coin was then stolen by a careless thief, the ex-boyfriend of one of the owner's daughters, during Thanksgiving a few years ago. Careless because he wasn't holding the flip properly and the coin slipped out onto the shoulder of the road while he was running away.

After a winter of exposure to salt and other road chemicals and pollutants, the coin was found in Springtime by a woman walking her schnauzer, but only after the coin became more recognizable when the scraggly mutt lifted his leg and applied some liquid fertilizer to it.

She scooped it up with her pooper scooper, and eventually gave it to the plumber who was fixing the leak in her basement sewer drain pipe, although oops, it mistakenly slipped into the foul drain when the plumber forgot to remove his chemically resistant rubber gloves when handling it.

Fortunately, he knew it was a choice item, and after rinsing it off with a dilute solution of sodium hydroxide, he sent it in for professional grading and slabbing.

I like it and I am fairly certain how this toning occurred. I have seen similar toning before on a 1926 Peace $...

IMHO It was in a paper 2x2 cardboard holder with mylar. The mylar split near the bottom obverse of the coin and folded back on itself hence the darker toning near the date and the almost perfectly straight line. It was probably stored in a cardboard box and there was probably other rips near the top of the mylar allowing some movement of air and toning across the top of the coin.

It looks ugly to me, but quite often I enjoy ugly coins. And that is the case here.

How did it happen? Ugly stick maybe lol ?

Just kidding - it may have been in a 2x2 flip whose plastic insert became corrupted and exposed the coin to a bad environment, with the completely uncovered portion heavily exposed and prone to the very dark tones.

Yes, I agree that some people are being a bit too harsh in the their opinions about this piece. I don't find ugly although I would not pay much a premium for it. Don't take that as a huge negative because I rarely pay premiums of toning.

If you want a naturally toned Peace dollar, this is not a bad option. Me, I don't really need to have one.

The toning looks natural and somewhat attractive to me. I don't fully understand much of the negativity about it.

Hey, I for one didn't declare it to be unattractive. But after taking a second peek at it, please allow me to guess just how it happened to tone like that:

It was in someone's coin collection inside a PVC flip wherein it sustained only a small amount of PVC damage, but the coin was then stolen by a careless thief, the ex-boyfriend of one of the owner's daughters, during Thanksgiving a few years ago. Careless because he wasn't holding the flip properly and the coin slipped out onto the shoulder of the road while he was running away.

After a winter of exposure to salt and other road chemicals and pollutants, the coin was found in Springtime by a woman walking her schnauzer, but only after the coin became more recognizable when the scraggly mutt lifted his leg and applied some liquid fertilizer to it.

She scooped it up with her pooper scooper, and eventually gave it to the plumber who was fixing the leak in her basement sewer drain pipe, although oops, it mistakenly slipped into the foul drain when the plumber forgot to remove his chemically resistant rubber gloves when handling it.

Fortunately, he knew it was a choice item, and after rinsing it off with a dilute solution of sodium hydroxide, he sent it in for professional grading and slabbing.

lol....that's quite a deductive story Delta....er...Sherlock. Are you sure it wasn't a Beagle though? The PH of the liquid looks off to be a Schnauzer....

lol....that's quite a deductive story Delta....er...Sherlock. Are you sure it wasn't a Beagle though? The PH of the liquid looks off to be a Schnauzer....

Valid point Dwight, thanks. Yes, the breed is a factor here, as also what brand of dog food it was getting, plus whatever other stuff it ate from foraging under the kitchen table or while scrounging in the backyard. Definitely the coin has a doggy appearance, and canine-caused coin consequences are to be considered natural. Ergo NT.

Looks like it was possibly in an album and the album got wet...certainly looks like some sort of flowing liquid caused the toning hm
thats the way it seems to me. i kinda like it some but.......

Well the last thread concerning the toned morgan dollar from teletrade recieved a lot of feedback so I am posting this coin to see what you all think.

This coin is on eBay and I am in no way spamming it, I just found it unique and I think at the price the seller is asking it will be on eBay for awhile. I don't particularly like this coin and am surprised to see it in an NGC problem free holder. What are your thoughts and how do you think this toning came about?

Nick

KGrHqMOKi0E6O3eThWBQyrenT8Q60_57.jpg

T2eC16RHJIE9qSO8mt9BQyrehMN3w60_57.jpg

KGrHqFjEFCYMslDPBQyreZehT60_57.jpg

It seems to me that this coin had originally toned completely to the yellow/magenta coloration still present on 75% of the Obverse. The Obverse then came in contact with a liquid that accelerated the toning action as indicated by the darker areas. That would explain the smooth curved border and the area around TRUST.

I don't care for this coin at all.

Carl

For those of you that are saying the coin was toned with some sort of liquid ...

Can someone actually show an example of this with pictures ? Anytime I put any liquid on a coin it beads up and I can never get those perfectly straight lines across the entire face of the coin - especially with a cool little curve like that...

I would love to know how you do that...

Thanks...

For those of you that are saying the coin was toned with some sort of liquid ...

Can someone actually show an example of this with pictures ? Anytime I put any liquid on a coin it beads up and I can never get those perfectly straight lines across the entire face of the coin - especially with a cool little curve like that...

Thanks...

Try putting a little bit of water on a coin then put a piece of plastic over it, the water will smooth out between the two. Which could be plausible if the coin was in an album or 2x2 flip.

Nick

Thanks...

Try putting a little bit of water on a coin then put a piece of plastic over it, the water will smooth out between the two. Which could be plausible if the coin was in an album or 2x2 flip.

Nick

Interesting. I will have to try that. Thank you.

I love the red and yellow but the odd toning seperation calls out some questions. Interesting observation on the file tab shape.

I love the red and yellow but the odd toning seperation calls out some questions. Interesting observation on the file tab shape.

I've been trying to figure out that shape since this posted, great eye,

I still think it's consistent with having had PVC damage, or how else explain the nasty erosion, for example, in the eace of Peace, and then the chemical depositions around the ollar of Dollar are to me reminiscent of treatment with lye. The file folder imprint could have been acquired on a basement cement floor littered with wet trash.