• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Market for Better date Peace Dollars

13 posts in this topic

I just had a group of 35-s Peace dollars grade MS62/63 at NGC. Also I was just in a shop where a dealer was offering a 1927-S MS64 Peace dollar (NGC) that has nice eye appeal $100 plus under bid (considering that the series is not universally appreciated to say the least).

What is the current market for better date Peace dollars?

prices are down right now, most dealers will not want common date and common grade coins as they can be harder to sell but i am in need of a 35-s, i was looking for MS64 and up but maybe a 62/3 can do as a temp :)

What is the current market for better date Peace dollars?

Overall, a single word suffices: "terrible".

Greysheet is high retail for almost every coin in the series, in almost any grade. In my opinion, sheet for the 1921 in anything AU and lower is double reality, and they are tough to move up through MS-62.

1935-S is legitimately a better date, but over valued on the sheets up through MS-62.

The entire series is very sadly neglected, even though I think the design is substantially prettier than the preceding Morgan dollars!

I LIKE Peace Dollars but many people don't seem to. They are overshadowed by the Morgans. They represent a GREAT value to any buyer. I think that they will improve in the future.

I like what the Peace dollar represents, the end of WWI and hope for a brighter tomorrow. They are by far my favorite coin to collect and I hope to add some to my collection this weekend at the monthly west michigan coin show. I have a ways to go before I have a complete set and then I need to upgrade the spot holders (I buy them from a local estate place for near spot..picked up a 1921 in G-VG this way).

Beyond the often discussed reasons for limited interest in Peace dollars, I wonder if the general unfamiliarity with US history of this period is a factor. Morgans are tied to the great bimetallic standard debates and the Bland-Allison Act, and the Sherman Act. They also date from an era when there was still some hand engraving involved.

Peace dollars are connected to the Pittman Act of 1918, but few likely know more than the name of the law – there was no great debate about monetary policy in the 1920s. There’s no connection to prohibition or other popularly known events of the 20s. Although there are several very interesting die varieties available, including one of the most obvious doubled dies, the great rarities all occur in 1921 and 1922, and have only been discovered and well documented within the past 7 years.