• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint Errors! post 'em if you got 'em

28 posts in this topic

I've shown this before, but I thought I'd give you a little company.

I actually received two of these when I placed my Mint order for four sets, but since I was also ordering for a friend, I felt it only fair to let him have one. There have only been 12 reported to date. It was originally listed as a "Mint Error - Die Gouge" by NGC, PF70 UCAM when I finally got around to submitting it in 2008, and I have to admit that I did enjoy having a "perfect error". However, it was added to the 2012 5th Edition, Volume II of the CPG as a Die Dent, FS-901, so this puppy will be going to the FUN Show with me next month to be reholdered with the new designation. Since mint errors are not segregated from normal coins in the NGC Census, I will now have the pleasure of owning a Top Pop.

By the way, the 2001-D Kennedy 50c mint error on my sig line is one of only two known to exist. I found it in a mint bag when they released them in 2004, and it cost me all of 68c.

Chris

132663.jpg.c86b5de825bbfd02741925b4daa29560.jpg

132664.jpg.a690c0e0663e7b931ab4d198692f169a.jpg

132665.jpg.5604a5a174b431dfab72460cc9c981f7.jpg

Personally, I don't think so. Even if some Bidiot on Fleabay wanted this coin, I'd be surprised if you would recover your expenses. Now, if two or more bidiots were going after it, that's a different story.

Chris

Are these error coins worth getting graded?

76.jpg

76-1.jpg

I've seen a lot of coins like that graded. I don't consider myself much of a grader, so I won't put a number on it. But do some research and see if the coins value vs. Grading fees is worth it.

Personally, I don't think so. Even if some Bidiot on Fleabay wanted this coin, I'd be surprised if you would recover your expenses. Now, if two or more bidiots were going after it, that's a different story.

Chris

You're a class act.

Are these error coins worth getting graded?

76.jpg

76-1.jpg

I've seen a lot of coins like that graded. I don't consider myself much of a grader, so I won't put a number on it. But do some research and see if the coins value vs. Grading fees is worth it.

This 5% O/C IHC is worthy of sending to NGC as there are mint error collectors who collect these by date just like Lincoln errors, etc. Raw this looses not only credibility as being genuine but also about 50% of marketplace as that's about the percentage of buyers shy away from anything raw. So it's worth about twice slabbed then what you'd most likely receive if sold raw.