• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To retro or not

18 posts in this topic

It would make it unique and look pretty sweet ....

Holiday Greetings everyone;

Today while sitting here at the computer and looking at some coins the thought hit me to pull one of my sets of ungraded 25th Anniversary Eagles out of the safe and have them graded in the black retro holder. I really believe they would look great and also think it would be a unique look for a complete set of 25th Anniversary Eagles in black. The more I contemplate this notion the more I like it. Now I need to find that certificate for 5 free gradings.......

Mike

See more journals by moondoggy

I'd say go for it!

I have a 1995W that's been languishing in a safe deposit box ever since I bought it in 1996. I've been meaning to have it graded for several years, but there's always been something else I wanted to have done first. When NGC announced the retro holder, I decided the time had come to take action, so I dusted it off and sent it in last week. It's been "received," so I should know the grade before the end of the year. :wishluck:

I'm looking forward to seeing my 1995W dressed in black!

That sounds like a great idea! The 25th Anniversary ASE's would be a perfect match with the " NGC 25th Anniversary " label. I really like how the silver sicks out with the black background.

Hi Mike,

The holders look great with the larger coins like the SAEs. But in my opinion, the black takes away from the smaller coins. The black becomes more of the focal point then the coin.

Your 25th Anniversary SAEs would be a great set to have in the retro holder. Post some pics if you decide to go ahead with it.

Take care

jeffrey

Hi Mike,

The holders look great with the larger coins like the SAEs. But in my opinion, the black takes away from the smaller coins. The black becomes more of the focal point then the coin.

Your 25th Anniversary SAEs would be a great set to have in the retro holder. Post some pics if you decide to go ahead with it.

Take care

jeffrey

I agree. The smaller coins get lost in a sea of black, but the silver eagles look awesome in the retro holder.

Mike - sounds like a great idea. Here's hoping for 70's.

Todd

Ok, well with everyone's input that was good enough for me, (twist my arm guys, lol) So off they went at noon today. Will post pics when I get them back per requests. Guess this my NGC Christmas present to myself this year. I believe it is written in the membership agreement with NGC that every member must purchase or submit a coin(s) for grading for their own Christmas present. I'm sure I read that in the membership agreement, didn't everyone else ;)

Wow! I missed that in the membership agreement. Maybe I should get myself a Christmas present also"LOL".

I'm crossing my fingers for your set to come back a perfect 70!!!

Can't wait to see the picture of your set!

Good Luck & Merry Christmas! Jimmie

I hope these were still sealed from the mint. I don't believe NGC will grade the "common" eagles as 25th anniversary if the box has been opened. I could be misremembering but believe that is correct. Good luck as I too think they would look incredible in black.

I got one of the SF sets in retro holders. I'm going to disagree with many here and say that to my eye they look so-so. OTOH, I got some of the presidential dollars in retro holders. The golden color really pops against the black. These really look awesome! I suspect that AGE or 1st Spouse coins would be really amazing in retro.

If the coins are raw, then putting them in a few black retro slabs would be cool but I wouldn't do it to coins that are already slabbed. I wouldn't want ALL of my coins in black slabs, either.

Oh, I totally agree. They were still in the plastic round holders from the mint. I also agree about all your coins in black but for this one set I think it will be pretty cool.

Mike

Hi Moondoggy; and every one else,

I was not sure about the fine print on the membership application about the -- requirement -- to purchase or, grade at least one coin for as a personal Christmas present. Low-and-behold, I found it and read it. Thanks Moondoggy, for pointing that out for us...

Santa must be reallly happy with me cause I purchased my PF70 Lincoln President $1 coin, at a reasonable price, today. Only three of the 2011 PF70 coins remains before I complete this set. Should have the three by December 30th, which will meet my 2012 collection goal.

I also submitted a 1999 Lincold Cent to NGC for grading. My mother found this extremely shinny and non-scuffed coin in pocket change last week so, she gave it to me as a gift. Would the Lincoln Cent be considered a re-gift?

I would like to take this time to wish Moondoggy and all of the others a great Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 2013 will be a fun and adventurous year.

Semper Fi,

Jack