• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion's on this unique toned morgan from teletrade.

116 posts in this topic

I fell in love with this coin and really wanted to win it, I have never seen anything like it and probably never will but my $850.00 wasn't even close but with christmas around the corner I couldn't go more. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this coin. What do you guys think and has anyone seen toning like this before?

Nick

teletrade link

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3391&lot=1725#n

picture

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

To be honest with you, I find it very hard to believe that it is NT. I'm wondering if it were cracked out and resubmitted to PCGS if it wouldn't come back AT.

Chris

A couple years back, Shane had a nice Morgan toner up for auction. I think it was an 1883-CC certified 64 or 65 (or it could have been an 1884-CC.) I can't remember. Anyway, the bidding had stalled at $700-800, so I placed a bid of $1K on it. I was the high bidder almost to the end when it closed for $1200. I was a little disappointed, but I'd like to think that I helped Shane out a little anyway.

Not more than two weeks later, Shane had another nice toner listed, an 1883-CC NGC MS65. This time, I really wanted to win, so I placed a bid of $1250. When the auction closed, I won it for $511. I was a happy camper!

Chris

Gassed? What would have possibly caused such bizarre "whispy" toning patterns? (shrug)

IMO, $1250 for a $60 coin is a bit steep for funky color.

To be honest with you, I find it very hard to believe that it is NT. I'm wondering if it were cracked out and resubmitted to PCGS if it wouldn't come back AT.

Chris

It's certainly unusual looking, but it looks NT, all the way, to me.

I'm captivated and understand why you were too. There will always be another cool coin to come your way. Chalk this one up to fate that it wasn't to be for you.

Chris

Agreed. That'd be some chemistry exam else wise.

Very cool coin. Gut reaction says EOR toning...

What's EOR?

EOR - End of Roll

But, I think it should be DOR - Dead on Resubmission!

Chris

A couple years back, Shane had a nice Morgan toner up for auction. I think it was an 1883-CC certified 64 or 65 (or it could have been an 1884-CC.) I can't remember. Anyway, the bidding had stalled at $700-800, so I placed a bid of $1K on it. I was the high bidder almost to the end when it closed for $1200. I was a little disappointed, but I'd like to think that I helped Shane out a little anyway.

Not more than two weeks later, Shane had another nice toner listed, an 1883-CC NGC MS65. This time, I really wanted to win, so I placed a bid of $1250. When the auction closed, I won it for $511. I was a happy camper!

Chris

you did real good on that one and the way it worked out is pretty cool to :)

For those of you saying its definitely AT - anyone want to put into words as to why you feel that way... other than "well it just doesnt look right" or "Ive never seen anything like that before..." ???

For those of you saying its definitely AT - anyone want to put into words as to why you feel that way... other than "well it just doesnt look right" or "Ive never seen anything like that before..." ???

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but I would be afraid that PCGS could just as easily change their mind.

Chris

Chris

Mark, what do you think could have possibly caused that unique toning pattern?

They can't. The terms are arbitrary and the distinctions are irrational. That's the reason they can't. If you insist, some may oblige, but they'll be the most distorted, vague, and unintelligible explanations you ever heard.

On how I'd judge the coin. The only rule is, collect what turns you on. As a corollary to that, let others alone, to do the same. That coin, to me, looks like something was spilled on it. It colored-out, as such, for whatever reason, but that's irrelevant. I like the colors, and it has a nice surface, but the color-pattern is highly-distracting. Overall, I could see a small premium for it, for its uniqueness.

I think it is naturally toned. I think it was and end roll coin but instead of the roll being folded at the end it was twisted closed. So who knows maybe I will find the other end someday.

Nick

end of roll toning seems possible

(although I wonder if an electrical current helped)

the reverse has me scratching my head

c33911725-1b_w55_q50_nc.jpg

the white areas could be areas on planchet before striking

I wonder if an electrical current helped

That's getting warmer. It appears as if the toning pattern developed while the coin was exposed to a strong magnetic field.

Chris

Mark, what do you think could have possibly caused that unique toning pattern?

I like Nick's theory as a possibility: "I think it was and end roll coin but instead of the roll being folded at the end it was twisted closed."

Or perhaps it was otherwise exposed to paper or a ribbon?

I think it is naturally toned. I think it was and end roll coin but instead of the roll being folded at the end it was twisted closed. So who knows maybe I will find the other end someday.

Nick

Nick, did you notice the determinations by the TPGs on the issue of whether tarnish on a coin is "NT" or "AT" are inconsistent over time? A good friend of mine from another forum showed me a very well-written lecture, there, somewhat recently, on what was referred to by the author as, "Appalachian toning," on that very issue. I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with this coin, outside of the fact, it's just not my tastes in tarnish. The most important thing to me is whether the surface is hurt by the tarnish, and this surface, from what these eyes can see, is all there. If you find another one like it, go after it, and don't worry about "NT," "AT," or anything anybody says. That's what I'd do. In fact, that's how I buy all my tarnished coins. FWIW...