• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The many reasons I love the Collector's Society

11 posts in this topic

Several years ago I started a set in the PCGS registry to see what all the hype was about...

Turns out it wasn't worth the effort. I had recently sold one of my PCGS dimes, after converting my own raw dime into the same NGC coin. Honestly, I forgot I even built the set until the buyer contacted me to release it from my PCGS set.

Wow! It had been so long since I created the login and set that my account was locked out from inactivity and/or my poor feable brain couldn't remember the email/password combination. The folks at PCGS were very helpful in trying to unlock my account and I received my newly restored credentials quick.

However, it only took about 30 seconds to remember why I abandoned the PCGS registry for good. The site is less than intuitive, not very user friendly and quite frankly boring. No offense to you PCGS fans, but I think NGC has done a far superior job building a collector friendly environment.

Here's to NGC for building and maintaining a very customer-centric application for the betterment of the hobby.

Happy Collecting!

Todd

PS - Today's pick the 2012 D MS 68 FT Roosevelt

12497.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Years ago, when I decided to have my entire collection certified, I started with PCGS. However, I found their registry clunky and a year into it I lost interest. Now that I have found my way home, I don't give it a second thought. NGC's registry is user friendly and very flexible, still allowing both NGC and PCGS coins in their US registry. Here I can personalize my sets in any I please, not to mention the collection manager which I believe is the industry best when it comes to cataloging your collection. At NGC my writing has also found a home and I appreciate the value NGC places on it with their annual journal awards. Then what can I say about the comradely, the people here are the best, and for me that's the main reason I am here!

Gary

Absolutely agree,

I tried a couple of years ago to register my PCGS coins but experienced the same "clunky" interface and haven't been back since. The collectors here are what make this site what it is, the best!

Years ago, when I decided to have my entire collection certified, I started with PCGS. However, I found their registry clunky and a year into it I lost interest. Now that I have found my way home, I don't give it a second thought. NGC's registry is user friendly and very flexible, still allowing both NGC and PCGS coins in their US registry. Here I can personalize my sets in any I please, not to mention the collection manager which I believe is the industry best when it comes to cataloging your collection. At NGC my writing has also found a home and I appreciate the value NGC places on it with their annual journal awards. Then what can I say about the comradely, the people here are the best, and for me that's the main reason I am here!

Gary

Gary-

Could not agree with you more. Glad others feel the same way.

Todd

Hello:

I saw your article and it hit such a true chord I had to register to reply.

After working on my one set of proof Franklin Halves for as long as I have, I wanted to register it. I went to PCGS and they required all coins be in their holders. This hit me wrong. It also points out what I believe is the main difference. Sure, NGC could also require ONLY their coins, and that would shut out a lot of us collectors who would prefer to save our money for coins instead of making sure our certifications match.

NGC is here FOR the collectors, and it shows. The boards are more lively, and if I may say so, it appears to me the contributors are more diverse and there is a lot more information available here as well.

I thank NGC and especially all of the collectors who take the time and make the effort to post. It really adds to the site.