• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the price of silver put a kibosh on your impulse purchases?

18 posts in this topic

I was at the store last week, and there were lots of random silver coins that I would have happily bought...1970 Bahamas proof sets, Canadian 1976 Olympic $5 & $10, 1988 Korean Olympic 10000 won, 1932 Mexican Pesos, even a 1972 Cayman Islands 25th anniversary QEII and Prince Philip coin...

...but with the price of silver, they were all more than I really wanted to pay.

Had spot been at $20 or so, I would have bought them all....but it's getting hard to pay $50 for a neato junk foreign coin, just because it has 1.5 ounces of silver in it.

Anyone else in this boat?

NO---I buy nothing that is at or anywhere NEAR spot price.

Wow .... I'd like to follow you around and see where you shop lol

He didn't say it had to be below, just not NEAR spot......haha

About the only thing that I collect that is influenced by the price of silver are the new silver Proof sets. Their increased issue prices have no changed my buying patterns although I might stop buying the annual clad Proof sets because they have become such poor investments. Almost all of them are now worth less than their issue prices. Ditto for the silver, but at least they contain silver coins.

Currently I'm working on a date set of early silver dollars and Twenty Cent pieces. The price silver does not change the collector value of those coins one way or the other.

The price of my daughter's tuition has put much more of a kibosh on my purchases than the price of silver, although I have probably left a few low-premium, circulated VAMs unpurchased where I might have bought them when silver was $10/oz.

NO---I buy nothing that is at or anywhere NEAR spot price.

Wow .... I'd like to follow you around and see where you shop lol

He didn't say it had to be below, just not NEAR spot......haha

True. Mustn't jump to conclusions. My bad.

Cause there is NO WAY walkerfan is buying his beautiful coins below melt

Not true...he is! The place is called "Fantasyland". You should check it out.

jom

jom

Just give me directions and I'm there

jom

Here, I'll give you a link...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=9&page=1

The price of silver hasn't altered my buying habits because most of my silver coins are priced well above spot. The price of gold, on the other hand, has killed my interest in buying generic classic U.S. gold coins even in choice to near gem condition.

jom

I have been there all day, I have yet to see any silver below melt, saw a bunch of Loonies though, and not the Canadian coins

jom

I have been there all day, I have yet to see any silver below melt, saw a bunch of Loonies though, and not the Canadian coins

lol

Heck, when you guys find it, tell me; I'd like to know about it, too! ;)

The price of silver hasn't altered my buying habits because most of my silver coins are priced well above spot. The price of gold, on the other hand, has killed my interest in buying generic classic U.S. gold coins even in choice to near gem condition.

Yes, the price gold has discouraged me from buying generic classic U.S. gold coins also. Of course we could be on the verge of a period of massive inflation and the collapse in the value of the U.S. dollar. In which case buying these coins could be a win-win. You not only add to your collection, but also preserve your wealth by buying items that go up with inflation instead of holding cash which loses buying power.

I had such a win-win with the modern commemorative gold coins that I bought back when gold was $350 to $400 an ounce. At one time they looked like a dead investment. Now they look like winners. Of course gold could drop again, and they would go back to the loser bin, which I suppose if I had any sense would encourage me to sell them. But as I a collector I have not done that.

At any rate I am not buying anything but the new issues, because the older pieces for the most part have all of their value in bullion. People were melting modern commemorative gold coins prior to the huge run up on gold value because they had negligible numismatic value.