• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Wish NGC Would Tell Why Your Coin Graded The Way It Did.

10 posts in this topic

5 Ounce ATB's 2010 Two 70's Three 69's

I have 8 ATB's 5 ounce coins that I purchased from the Mint. I decided to take the chance to get them graded. For the first 5 from 2010 series I got back two 70's and 3 69's. I look at the coin and thought they were all 70's...what the hell the US Mint takes very special handling in the coins so I figured they should rate high. Well they did not and I would like to know why. I wish NGC would tell why your coin graded the way it did so I know what to look for next time. Could have been all 68's so I guess I doing well.

12469.jpg

See more journals by DVD Home Studios

I used to work at a factory assembling door latches for automobiles. We had to inspect the parts before using them. the latch itself was rubber coated. If there was any rubber missing it was no good. One of our suppliers,(our mother company) sent us some latches that had rubber missing in spots. We were told that a certain % of rubber could be missing and it would be ok. We would reinspect the latches allowing the ones that met the new standard to be used. Everyday we were given a new standard that allowed more of the latches to be used. One night while inspecting latches my supervisor saw me not even looking at them and putting them all in the good pile. He said something about it to me. I said to show me the latches that did not meet the standard, he looked at me for a moment, turned and walked away. we ended up using probably 99% of the latches. After going through those lot #'s we reverted to the original standard. I imagine 70's are like that, depends on the day.

George, Your story is a good one but I really don't think that applies here. I'm sure there is a way to pick the 70s out of a batch of coins. Until we know how we will send in 69s thinking they should be 70s. I would imagine that there is a slight lack of luster in the coins that graded 69 as apposed to the 70s.

Later--Rick

NGC should make graders notes available. CGC does this. Up until last year, it was free. You could call and speak to a grader. Now, they are available via e-mail for a fee.

George, Your story is a good one but I really don't think that applies here. I'm sure there is a way to pick the 70s out of a batch of coins. Until we know how we will send in 69s thinking they should be 70s. I would imagine that there is a slight lack of luster in the coins that graded 69 as apposed to the 70s.

Later--Rick

My point in a roundabout way was simply if you resubmitted so many times you stand a chance of getting higher grades, the comments I've read here bear that out, not everytime, don't know the %, but it happens

My point in a roundabout way was simply if you resubmitted so many times you stand a chance of getting higher grades, the comments I've read here bear that out, not everytime, don't know the %, but it happens

It would be a significant value for all of us to learn the procedure they use in figuring out the difference in a 70 as apposed to a 69. I actually believe the grade may have changed with a 2 degree spin of the coins. I have also heard something containing black light coloring to find a true 70 but have no clue as to how that works.

I meet a grader at a show in Chicago a few years ago and asked him the differance between a 69 and a 70 and he could not put it in words he just said it depended on the coin the day and the mood of the grader. so I try and send in coins while the graders should be in a good mood lol

I meet a grader at a show in Chicago a few years ago and asked him the differance between a 69 and a 70 and he could not put it in words he just said it depended on the coin the day and the mood of the grader. so I try and send in coins while the graders should be in a good mood lol

I thought you were the one sending coupons for free pizzas in your submission. That would explain the new fingerprints on my coins submitted.