• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1958-D nickel DDO plus DDR Beautful coin, one of a kind?

36 posts in this topic

Edit, i added the pictures in the files.

This is a great find! 1958-D DDO-DDR, the coin weighs 5.2 grams.

Obverse,

This is a very thick coin, the star is really big! every letter is thick and or doubled, sorry for the bad pictures i will upload better pics later. his eye shows doubling also the w in WE, its just 2 lines crossing, you cant see it but his nose has another piece under it.

Reverse,

the hole building is DD, doubling increases through the hole reverse from left to right.

you can see where the mint mark is has the most doubling but sense it isnt a very good picture it doesn't show the letter doubling.

soo is this one of a kind? how much do you think its worth? lemme know what you think.

lol..... ok don't believe me, i know what i have its just a picture, when i upload some in the morning ull see :D, btw how much would one of these be worth?

I agree with the others that it appears to be machine doubling.

Despite that, even if it was a true doubled die, in that state of circulated condition, it would be worth very little more than face value unless it was a major variety.

Chris

lol..... ok don't believe me, i know what i have its just a picture, when i upload some in the morning ull see :D, btw how much would one of these be worth?

It should be worth at least 5 cents, but if you were selling the copper and nickel, it might be worth 7 cents.

If you were selective and traded it for 5 pennies that are 1982 or older, it could be worth over 15 cents in copper

sell it on eBay, and it would be worth at least 50 cents for eBay/PAYPAL

If you were selective and traded it for 5 pennies that are 1982 or older, it could be worth over 15 cents in copper

Wrong!

Lincoln cents are not the same as pure Grade A copper, and as such, do not command the same price. If you check with most reclamation centers, you will probably find that they only pay about 25% for "mixed-metal" copper. Since there are 182 Lincoln cents to a pound, you would get about 88c for them.

Chris

That reverse image is actually not all that bad. More than enough to call it MD. Maybe the obverse images will show something new but there is little value.

Trust me, that picture is plenty good enough to tell you it is machine doubling damage, and worth roughly 5 cents. If you don't believe the experts when we tell you something, why bother asking us?

Here's something that may help...you noted "DDO-DDR"...not that it's impossible, but the odds against an actual doubled die obverse being paired with a doubled die reverse are phenomenally small. However, by its very nature, maching doubling frequently affects both sides of the coin being struck...not always, but frequently.

So whenever you see doubling on BOTH sides, you should, 99.997% of the time, think "machine doubling", and not DDO/DDR.

This is ESPECIALLY true of doubled mintmarks on pre-1985 mintmarked coins, as the mintmark is punched into the die AFTER the doubling process occurs.

As shown here, all examples of an actual 1969-S Double Die cent will have no doubling evident on the MM:

1969_s_ddo_date-596x462.jpg

Here's something that may help...you noted "DDO-DDR"...not that it's impossible, but the odds against an actual doubled die obverse being paired with a doubled die reverse are phenomenally small. However, by its very nature, maching doubling frequently affects both sides of the coin being struck...not always, but frequently.

So whenever you see doubling on BOTH sides, you should, 99.997% of the time, think "machine doubling", and not DDO/DDR.

This is ESPECIALLY true of doubled mintmarks on pre-1985 mintmarked coins, as the mintmark is punched into the die AFTER the doubling process occurs.

As shown here, all examples of an actual 1969-S Double Die cent will have no doubling evident on the MM:

1969_s_ddo_date-596x462.jpg

You said that well. Great post.

Looks like machine doubling to me as well.

Also, when you describe the "doubled" areas, you need to be more specific and use the right terminology - no one will understand you if you said "the right is doubled, the middle and top too". You can try "the legend", "denomination", "motto", "Monticello" etc..

By the way, I agree with cpm9ball's comment about the copper pennies. Not only does it cost money to separate the copper from the non-copper parts (and so pays less than Grade A copper (I don't know if 75% less, but it is less) ), it is also illegal to melt any copper coins at the moment until (if ever) the ban will be lifted, and also illegal to take more than 500 pennies out of the U.S so most refineries won't even take them from you.

Also, when you describe the "doubled" areas, you need to be more specific and use the right terminology - no one will understand you if you said "the right is doubled, the middle and top too". You can try "the legend", "denomination", "motto", "Monticello" etc..

By the way, I agree with cpm9ball's comment about the copper pennies. Not only does it cost money to separate the copper from the non-copper parts (and so pays less than Grade A copper (I don't know if 75% less, but it is less) ), it is also illegal to melt any copper coins at the moment until (if ever) the ban will be lifted, and also illegal to take more than 500 pennies out of the U.S so most refineries won't even take them from you.

I'll admit that it was about 5 years ago, but at the time, I called 7 reclamation centers in Florida, and every one of them quoted the same price......25% of Grade A copper.

Chris

I'll admit that it was about 5 years ago, but at the time, I called 7 reclamation centers in Florida, and every one of them quoted the same price......25% of Grade A copper.

Chris

i believe that..

by the way, if it was any time AFTER (i think) the end of 2006, you could have gotten up to $10,000 fine and/or up to 5 years in prison (tsk)

Chris

i believe that..

by the way, if it was any time AFTER (i think) the end of 2006, you could have gotten up to $10,000 fine and/or up to 5 years in prison (tsk)

I wasn't calling to find out what I could get. It was my own personal research. I kept reading about other collectors hoarding the pre-82 Lincolns, and I knew that Lincoln cents couldn't possibly command the same price as Grade A copper.

Well, I tried to explain it to them, and I have been trying to explain the same thing again and again for the last 6 years. Guess what? These fools still think that they're worth the same price as Grade A copper.

By the way, if it were legal to melt Lincoln cents, the price of Grade A copper would have to be about $7.30 just to break even.

Chris

Chris

i believe that..

I wasn't calling to find out what I could get. It was my own personal research. I kept reading about other collectors hoarding the pre-82 Lincolns, and I knew that Lincoln cents couldn't possibly command the same price as Grade A copper.

Well, I tried to explain it to them, and I have been trying to explain the same thing again and again for the last 6 years. Guess what? These fools still think that they're worth the same price as Grade A copper.

By the way, if it were legal to melt Lincoln cents, the price of Grade A copper would have to be about $7.30 just to break even.

Chris

understood.

i was just saying.. cause i know some refineries do that.. also with Jefferson nickels. about a year ago they were melting for a little less than 6 cents each