• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC coin crossed to PCGS... brings LESS at auction????

24 posts in this topic

James---YOU ARE CORRECT. Someone may have OVERBID in hopes of an upgrade only to find it DID NOT, so then it sold for less the second time around. I have seen much more profound examples than this. An 18-D 64 WLH NGC that was SHARP for that strike rarity issue sold for 10K+ only to to NOT upgrade at PCGS and then sell again for 6350 that second time around!! :eek:

Also, someone may have just LIKED the coin and was NOT a Kool-aid drinker (like me). I have and will CONTINUE to pay hefty premiums for NGC coins just as long as I think that they are worth it, which is THE MOST important part of it all. IMHO.

Do more folks bid at the Fun show?

Absolutely, in my experiences, FUN SHOW WINTER has always brought STRONG prices-----inordinately strong. IMHO. It is THE BIGGEST show of the year.

You make a good point.

Absolutely, in my experiences, FUN SHOW WINTER has always brought STRONG prices-----inordinately strong. IMHO. It is THE BIGGEST show of the year.

You make a good point.

I wondered the same thing, but in fact... the coin had only FIVE bidders at FUN, and TEN bidders in March! So that does not appear to be the determining factor.

You make a good point.

I wondered the same thing, but in fact... the coin had only FIVE bidders at FUN, and TEN bidders in March! So that does not appear to be the determining factor.

The determining factor appears to be the real world value of the coin regardless of the TPG holder. How about stating the obvious?

BTW does listing in the biggest show of the year also mean that bids are sometimes not very realistic.

I really wanted to say stupid based on previous auction results.

Carl

You make a good point.

Perhaps it's the quality of the bidders, not the quantity?

You make a good point.

I agree----you can't judge much by the number of bidders. One of the craziest prices that I ever paid for a coin only had FIVE bidders.

You make a good point.

Certainly that could be true :) .

It could also be true (in fact I think it is) that the coins looked better in NGC's superior slab lol !

The winning bidder in January was not bidding on the coin in March.

In January there may have been two bidders who REALLY wanted it and three others who were interested. Then in March you have the one guy who really wanted it and the other nine were merely interested. Without the driving force of another rabid bidder the coin went for less. I've seen it happen a lot. There was a group of large cent collectors that specialized in terminal die state pieces and whenever one would come on the market there was stiff competition and record prices, Well eventually each of them started selling off their collections and there were constant new records posted until you got down to the last three guys in the group. The third sold off his collection and the other two once again bid record prices, then the next the last sold his set, and the last guy bought them all up for a song because there was no more fanatical competition for them.

Or do I have it all wrong?

This coin sold in January for $1610.

... and ...

Then it sold in March for $1495.

It doesn't make sense, because a coin is always often worth more in a PCGS holder.

There are certain series which are worth as much or more in N holders as P holders. Many of the more common classic commemoratives bring as much or more in N as P though the higher end pieces still do better in P. There are a few other instances I've noticed of examples when N outsells P on very comparable coins, sometimes dramatically more.

Or do I have it all wrong?

This coin sold in January for $1610.

... and ...

Then it sold in March for $1495.

It doesn't make sense, because a coin is always often worth more in a PCGS holder.

There are certain series which are worth as much or more in N holders as P holders. Many of the more common classic commemoratives bring as much or more in N as P though the higher end pieces still do better in P. There are a few other instances I've noticed of examples when N outsells P on very comparable coins, sometimes dramatically more.

I think you missed the sarcasm in the original post? James was obviously kidding...but, I know tone of voice is hard to interpret over the inter-webs. ;)

Damn - the logic being displayed is destroying an attempted good rant :o

I agree with much of what the majority have stated.....one cannot make a conclusion based on such little information. The variables are all different and there is no precise, known, information.

What is known is very limited and generic. To try to base an actual reasoning from that is just silly.

Of course, it isn't like the OP is harboring a grudge against a certain TPGS or anything, is it? ;)

I think the coin looked better in the white prong slab!

I'm like walkerfan, I will continue to buy NGC coins if I think they look nice. I do the same approach with PCGS, no kool aid for me

Not entirely related, but I had a very rare high grade war comic book from the 60's that I had graded by CGC, and it got a 9.4 (1-10 scale.)

I sold it on eBay for $1750.

It was cracked, (presumably) fiddled with to make it look better, then resubbed...and it graded 9.6.

It then subsequently sold on Heritage as a 9.6 for approx $480.

:blush:

If I'd been paying attention, I would have bought it. As it was, it was offered back on eBay by the buyer of the HA auction for $800...someone eventually bought it, but I could have bought it for $800, gotten a significant upgrade, and MADE $800 or so in the process.

;)

Both companies have a strong customer base, some buyers are willing to pay a little bit more for one label over the other, is it a perception or does one label with the same grade sell for a premium?

Good question...but I had a example. I had two 1953-S Franklin half dollars, they were both XF-40's, one in PCGS and one in NGC. When I went to sell or trade, I laid them down on the dealers counter, side by side...the dealer immediately focused in on the PCGS slab and examined it first. He then went to the NGC slab and got out a loop. He did not loop the competitors coin but he looked over the bell lines on the NGC slab. He then purposely laid it back down next to the PCGS slab, slid the PCGS slab in front of me and told me we'll deal with the Frankie in the NGC plastic.

Apparently the dealer thought the coin in the NGC slab was far superior to the other plastic...but then again, this was a coin for coin basis and should not be used for every instance, but it told me the coin inside the plastic says volumes, so in this instance, buy the coin and not the label.

That is interesting example WoodenJefferson -

were 1953-S Franklins in XF40 ever worth enough to justify slabbing costs?

and if you had a third raw coin looking as good as the other 2, would they have dealed for the raw coin?

That is interesting example WoodenJefferson -

were 1953-S Franklins in XF40 ever worth enough to justify slabbing costs?

and if you had a third raw coin looking as good as the other 2, would they have dealed for the raw coin?

Unknown just why the dealer wanted the NGC example, I did not ask, I was ready to sell. Perhaps he had a customer lined up for it to make a quick sale (it was a very nice example of a XF graded coin, I up-graded into a MS example and these were extras) Somewhere along the line, somebody went through the expense to have it encapsulated, per-haps they thought it was worthy and no, a raw coin in this grade is just not worth the expense for a dealer to get it encapsulated, he wanted the 'ready to go' coin, taking advantage that it was already graded.

It's just weird how the selection process is done at times.