• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Collecting Sucks

37 posts in this topic

Not really coin collecting, just that there is not enough $ to collect what I've started, and then as I see all the cool stuff you guys post, I want to collect more things, the half dollar commemoratives, the SLQ's, mercury's, just to name a few. But on a happier note, my lincoln set is ready to break the top 100.

:grin: stay cool, you are not the only one without deep pockets. My monthly allowance for coins is $200, so if I need to buy $600 coin I must save 3 months or sell other coins I bought before.

I just bought an 1912 Saint, but to get that Saint I sold 1910 Indian, 2 10oz silver bars and added cash from special reserve account in my bank, where I have automatic transfer set up of $50 a week from Spend to Reserve account.

Collect what you like, for the money you can afford!

Nice type set, couple of questions for you. Obviously those are not the only things you have, but you don't have any sets listed, why not? With the cost of 3 of your coins, how do you get anything else? What else do ou collect? Thanks

I feel your pain.

My yearly coin budget is about 2k. I am about to spend a third of that on one coin come Monday.

Obviously I have purchase much this year.

What are you buying? don't answer if its in an auction, sorry

Mostly I was collecting World Coins (I have a rare set of Lithuanian coins 1925-1938 in high grades), but half of them are in PCGS slabs, half of them in NGC slabs, so I cannot display them on NGC Registry.

I decided to create my own website to display that collection (currently working on that).

If you go to the money marketplace and look for the thread WTB colorful toned standing liberty scroll down and you will see a 1929 ms65FH which I am going to send payment on Mon.

When I looked at first, the darker one from cucamonga jumped at me, then I looked at the one you picked, I spent a good 5-10 minutes comparing, you really have a good eye. It is really nice. the other one really has some weird things going on. Nice pick up. Mark has a really good eye for picking coins. I'm scared to jump on a coin of that magnitude

Mostly I was collecting World Coins (I have a rare set of Lithuanian coins 1925-1938 in high grades), but half of them are in PCGS slabs, half of them in NGC slabs, so I cannot display them on NGC Registry.

I decided to create my own website to display that collection (currently working on that).

thats cool, are you going to list a link when you get it done?

The same amount of money thrown at moderns and grading services and similar non-coin sink holes, can be used to assemble a very interesting Roman Imperial or Republic collection. Showing your guests coins that circulated 2000 years ago will likely create a much better impression than a MS-69 2005 cent. Likewise, the back story is far richer and historically interesting for the Roman coins.

Just an alternative thought for those who obsess about register points and similar inanities.

For those who don't necessarily need to own a coin, at least for a long period of time, I would consider dealing on the side...not to make money, per se, but I find a tremendous satisfaction just owning neato stuff for a little while.

I can't hold any $X,XXX coin for a long time, but I CAN purchase one, enjoy having it around for a month or two, then moving it on to someone else, hopefully at or more than I paid for it.

It's a nice alternative.

I can't hold any $X,XXX coin for a long time, but I CAN purchase one, enjoy having it around for a month or two, then moving it on to someone else, hopefully at or more than I paid for it.

Ahhhh...a "coin zombie." Capture the coin, suck all the enjoyment possible out of it, then sell the drained husk to the merely living.... :)

The same amount of money thrown at moderns and grading services and similar non-coin sink holes, can be used to assemble a very interesting Roman Imperial or Republic collection. Showing your guests coins that circulated 2000 years ago will likely create a much better impression than a MS-69 2005 cent. Likewise, the back story is far richer and historically interesting for the Roman coins.

Just an alternative thought for those who obsess about register points and similar inanities.

Very good observation and suggestion, if a person subscribes to the belief that coin collectors actually have friends that are not coin collectors, and that coin collectors actually have guests,via a normal social life....

Ahhhh...a "coin zombie." Capture the coin, suck all the enjoyment possible out of it, then sell the drained husk to the merely living.... :)

zombie01.gif

Muahahah.gif

I have a collection I work on when the budget gets tight. That is a holed 7070 Dansco album!

What's fun is that some coins are hard to find with holes. Save a few certain types, most of these coins are rather cheap and can be bought on eBay for under $10 each.

You have to find a cheap way to keep yourself entertained. That's the key. Whether it be with coin books or doing what I wrote above with other types. I've heard people do it with counter stamped coins and love tokens as well.

...well, yeah, I did make some fundamental assumptions....

Those assumptions may be fundamental, but I'm not sure that they are reasonable and/or believable.

Very good observation and suggestion, if a person subscribes to the belief that coin collectors actually have friends that are not coin collectors, and that coin collectors actually have guests,via a normal social life....

Both of those assumptions actually apply to me. Maybe I'm weird?

I have a display of coins on the middle shelf of my china cabinet, right where the light shines on them nicely. My guests actually enjoy seeing this display. I make a point of changing it out every few months, so there is always something new to see.

Sorry all, I started a thread and then got hit with a 2 day suspension for comments made in the water cooler, tread lightly over there, some of those people are not adults and are incapable of adult conversation without personal attacks and emotion. great comments

some of those people are not adults and are incapable of adult conversation without personal attacks and emotion.

But he got suspended, hmmm. J/K :)

some of those people are not adults and are incapable of adult conversation without personal attacks and emotion.

Any opinion on this johncurlis? I had to weather some pretty good attacks from all fronts, haha

Whoever told you that you cannot display PCGS coins in the NGC registry is WRONG.

it is PCGS that doesn't take NGC coins on their registry, not the other way

You can list PCGs coins on NGC's registry, I know someone that has a PCGS-only set here on NGC.

There is no point-difference between an NGC and a PCGS coin, in the same grade.

Whoever told you that you cannot display PCGS coins in the NGC registry is WRONG.

it is PCGS that doesn't take NGC coins on their registry, not the other way

You can list PCGs coins on NGC's registry, I know someone that has a PCGS-only set here on NGC.

There is no point-difference between an NGC and a PCGS coin, in the same grade.

No---it is TRUE but ONLY for WORLD COINS.

Any opinion on this johncurlis? I had to weather some pretty good attacks from all fronts, haha

Is he who you were feuding with when you got suspended? Just curious.

Sorry all, I started a thread and then got hit with a 2 day suspension for comments made in the water cooler,

You started a thread that would naturally offend some people, because it included a derogatory statement (regardless of whether or not it was intended as a springboard.)

tread lightly over there, some of those people are not adults and are incapable of adult conversation without personal attacks and emotion. great comments

The Water Cooler, as well as the comics side of the board, is filled with people who defy the spirit of the rules of this board on a daily basis, but get a pass. Why they get a pass is anyone's guess, but the real fault lies with the moderation team, which has consistently ignored the environment of toxicity that exists, and by failing to control it have effectively fostered it.

One need not take my word for it...the aggressive trolling and endless snide commentary is on display in nearly every thread.

"Civility" is not a term that applies to those sections of the board. There is little, if any, filter on what people feel free to say to others. And if someone doesn't like someone else, there is quite literally nothing stopping them from harassing that person at any and every opportunity. It's not enough to leave someone you don't like alone...no, it's a badge of perverse honor to make sure everyone else knows it, as loudly and as often as possible, and that you better dislike that person, too, if you know what's good for you. It's like High School, but with a family and a 401k.

And the behind the scenes attempts to influence people's opinions of others, via PM threads, is an epidemic.

It's unfortunate, but until the moderation team is changed (which looks highly unlikely), that won't change either.

When money is tight, my method of collecting involves the international junk bin at my dealer's. Most I've seen are 6-7 coins for $1. I'll sit down and spend some time really sifting through it. The logic is simple enough:

--Dealers don't have that much time to go through every international coin in a hoard. They have to take some shortcuts to weed out the silver and anything really old, and they try, but in the end it's not worth their time to invest more than a certain cursory scrutiny when they get a large quantity.

--Because of this, they miss some. Like the silver 1700s 1 Real I found in there one time. Hard to read due to condition, and not a huge coin, but glad to get it for $0.17.

--Most customers digging through it don't know much about what they're seeing either. At first, you also may not, but you soon will if you keep it up.

--In terms of value, you nearly always come out ahead on average. Some will be worth $0.05, if that. Some will be worth $1, nice. Some will be worth more. I've never failed to come out ahead, shopping mainly for pre-1950 stuff.

--You get exposed to a tremendous variety of countries, coinages and so on--a fairly global numismatic education, especially if you're daring enough to face deciphering some coins you can't even read. I grant that I have an advantage there, as I can transliterate most Arabic when it's not too twisted, and read some Hebrew and Russian/Cyrillic, but other alphabets/number systems can challenge me. That's part of the fun!

--There's no way of knowing what you'll find. That's the biggest part of the fun!

--It means you can collect coins on $10 a month if you wish. WIN.