• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Collecting Sucks

37 posts in this topic

some of those people are not adults and are incapable of adult conversation without personal attacks and emotion.

But he got suspended, hmmm. J/K :)

Any opinion on this johncurlis? I had to weather some pretty good attacks from all fronts, haha

Is he who you were feuding with when you got suspended? Just curious.

For the Record, I don't feud.

I just logically dismiss opinions that vary from my correct opinions.

As to the original reason for the question, I would only state that NP conducted himself with superiority to many other comments I have experienced. The choice of words used may, or may not, receive the support of the U N.

A derogatory statement can not be avoided by anyone, because there is always an opinion that will differ, and cause retaliation.

Sometimes, the retaliation is petty and intended to be less than mannerly, as if this method will suppport the superior Godliness of the opposing retaliation.

Collect what you can afford, what you like, and what fits your budget. Above all, do not finance your numismatic hobby with debt, especially credit cards.

Find a series or area you enjoy and buy issues in that area that are affordable whether circulated or mintstate. You can fill the hole with an affordable coin, then upgrade later. Ignore people who tout a minimum grade for investment or who demean coins below a certain dollar amount. This can be merely self serving propaganda for whatever it is they are trying to sell. Your the captain of your ship, not them.

Not really coin collecting, just that there is not enough $ to collect what I've started, and then as I see all the cool stuff you guys post, I want to collect more things, the half dollar commemoratives, the SLQ's, mercury's, just to name a few. But on a happier note, my lincoln set is ready to break the top 100.

My yearly budget for coins just crosses into 4 figures; but I routinely buy/sell to supplement that budget. Sometimes I have $100 at a show, and other times I may have $1000+ but regardless I have fun. Sometimes I focus on finding minor coins for my 7070, other times I am strictly trying to sell or buy material I can quickly flip. Then every once in a while I have the funds to go after a coin I am really looking for.

I've dabbled in foreign and tokens during lean times also. One thing I've learned is that dealers' junk boxes can sometimes be treasure troves for a quick profit.

Another thing I enjoy doing during lean times is taking a non-collector buddy along with me to the show. When I don't have the funds to buy what I really want I am more patient with my friend and more willing to spend time with him showing him the ropes.

I have the same problem lol. I do not have deep pockets either. But I save every penny I make doing jobs and selling coins for others, and often even skip lunch at school to save the lunch money for coins. Recently I made a HUGE purchase and now am not even renewing my phone until my funds are restored.

CC

Yeah, I feel great about my coins, that awesome 1888 Lib I purchased recently.

Until Boiler78 (God Bless Him) comes along and post some freakishly rare pattern coin, that rocks my sock off! (worship) Then I look up the price of such a coin, and it is more than I make in a YEAR! Yep, all of a sudden I am defending my humble existence as a amateur coin collector, with some pretty nice coins that didn't cost very much, relatively speaking.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but "I look forward to Boiler78 coins , and post from other purveyors of fine coins". There are many great coins posted here.

I have asked this one question over and over, "If I had the money would I buy coin worth a medium priced home in Arizona?" HECK YEAH!

OP