• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hobo Nickels

14 posts in this topic

I only had about a half hour but I wanted to check out the coin show in my local area real quick even though I will be there most of the day tomorrow and right outside the entrance they had some display's set up for patrons to vote for their favorites, I was about to slip on by when these hobo nickels caught my eye and I was just blown away. I had never given hobo nickels much thought but I felt like a kid again just staring at these. If any one collects them and has pictures please share. And I can imagine there is a wide array of opinions about hobo nickels so please share. I snapped these pictures real quick thru the display case so the quality is not great.

Nick

2012-10-26_12-23-38_821.jpg

2012-10-26_12-23-29_581.jpg

2012-10-26_12-23-19_855.jpg

2012-10-26_12-23-09_471.jpg

2012-10-26_12-23-03_562.jpg

2012-10-26_12-22-52_436.jpg

Like you I normally pass on hobo nickels but those are very cool looking. What show are you referring to? I am going to one tomorrow as well but a smaller venue in SC.

Like you I normally pass on hobo nickels but those are very cool looking. What show are you referring to? I am going to one tomorrow as well but a smaller venue in SC.

Mtnstyne,

It's just a small venue coin show here in salt lake city. And yeah as im researching these, I do believe the one's pictured are at the top for quality and not easily found.

Nick

I have always been interested in hobos. I have not pulled the trigger on any but I would like to own.

The art work on the ones pictured is incredible. What were the prices? Did you purchase any?

I don't believe they are for sale. They had about seven displays I think from local coin club members and anyone visiting the show was encouraged to vote for their favorite. Hopefully tomorrow I can find out more about the owner and find out if any are for sale because I would love to own at least one of these if not more but i suspect it's not going to be any easy or cheap task to accomplish.

Nick

Authentic "Hobo nickels" are very difficult to find. Nearly everything in dealers' cases today is imitation....garbage.

I agree that there is a lot of garbage. There are a handful of skilled artist who put extravagant art work and designs on different types of coinage. These pieces are obviously not meant to be passed of as some of the originals.

Well I met the owner of these peices today and it was a pleasure to chat with him and your right Roger he was very quick to correct me when I called them hobo nickels and refers to them as "hobo like coins" or "hobo type coin" and yes there is a lot of imatation garbage but I agree with copper toning that these are an exception to that and the craftsmanship is top notch. So I worked and worked this guy and he wasn't budging he was a real collector at heart and not in any way a dealer so I had to really smooth talk him and I did over pay but I am happy with my new purchase and thrilled he sold me the one I wanted the most. My picture sucks sorry for that but here it is.

Nick

2012-10-27_17-33-45_258.jpg

Cool coin I like it.

I was looking at a site called Original Hobo Collectors and they show the work of several artist you may want to google it.

I wonder if some of these artist will let you send them a coin and an idea? May be something I will look into.