• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC populations for talers

6 posts in this topic

Early in the summer, I pulled together some information on taler populations from the NGC world consensus and created some charts about talers from German States, Austrian States, Hungary, and Swiss Cantons. There were 2,950 total in my queries (pre-1800; 1 taler denomination only). I found the following information to be fascinating.

Moderators - if this information is not appropriate to share on this forum, please let me know and thread will be removed.

Breakdown of talers by region:

NGC-populations-by-region.jpg

Breakdown of talers by grade:

NGC-populations-by-grade.jpg

Most commonly graded Austrian States talers:

NGC-austrian-populations.jpg

Most commonly graded German States talers:

NGC-german-populations.jpg

Seems to me we are decades away from pop reports for world coins, even popular series' such as talers, mean anything useful at all.

You are correct mumu. Pop reports will never really be accurate for talers as they would be for Morgan dollars since there are untold thoudands sitting in collections in Europe that will never see plastic slabs.....perhaps even in decades. With that said, I dont' agree that population reports are meaningless. You can see some trends in the volume of talers per state and learn some lessons in the grade distribution and relative scarcity. It is what you make of it.

Pop reports will probably be pretty useless for many world coins, but based on how often I encounter Talers and what grades they normally are found in, this is about as I would have guessed. However, I would have suspected a higher percentage of the Talers to be German.