• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned damaged or something else

18 posts in this topic

I blelieve this coin looks to be cleaned and retoned.

I may be interested in this coin if the price stays down. I am on the fence right now which almost always leads me to pass on a purchase.

Opinions on the look?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1175&lotNo=8968&lotIdNo=65174

That coin is BEAUTIFUL and SHARP and has VERY MUCH MS details. I am quite bothered by those scratches, in the right facing field VERY much,though---after mint disruption. IMHO. I don't believe that NGC or PCGS would slab it----that's why it's in an ANACS holder. Unfortunately, I'D PASS.

I feel it was probably dipped a few times so not much luster left. I would want to see that coin (or have someone trusted, like Mark), before bidding heavy. The fields have those 'scrapes' that I would want to determine if die polish or nicks.

It sure looks pretty until you blow-up the pic 50X and see the fields.

I blelieve this coin looks to be cleaned and retoned.

I may be interested in this coin if the price stays down. I am on the fence right now which almost always leads me to pass on a purchase.

Opinions on the look?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1175&lotNo=8968&lotIdNo=65174

The coin certainly gives me the impression of having been stripped and developing secondary toning. Someone like Mark, who is there, would have to examine it in person to tell if it would certify problem free at NGC or PCGS.

I'd be willing to bet the angle and the lighting, somewhat mutes the noticeable damage, and that's what I'd call it, damage in the obverse field. Let's see what Mark says with a in hand observation.

The pictures don’t show anything but coin on coin contact, which is certainly commensurate with the MS60 grade.

I find it hard to believe that what the picture below shows is coin-on-coin contact marks.

I believe the coin is scratched, and that ANACS net graded this coin to MS-60 as a result.

scr.JPG

The pictures don’t show anything but coin on coin contact, which is certainly commensurate with the MS60 grade.

I find it hard to believe that what the picture below shows is coin-on-coin contact marks.

I believe the coin is scratched, and that ANACS net graded this coin to MS-60 as a result.

scr.JPG

Agree;and scratched in three places:(

On my phone it looks like it's got good overall balance and the grade assigned is on the low side. Then again, they're market grading, and MS60 might, as suggested, be their "compromise" to move it in the market for those problems it has, I don't know.

scr.JPG

Very hard to say what caused this, reeding marks pressed and scrapped along it, or somehting else, but the MS60 grade was certainly given because of the marks, which was my point.

I do not like this coin at all, by the way.

I am in Dallas and would be happy to view the coin for you tomorrow and report back.

Mark was kind enough to view the coin in hand today. Here are his thoughts.

Lot 8968: looks dipped and retoned, though the color is lighter and more attractive than seen in the images and there is plenty of luster present. Some might call it 58, but 60 or 61 would be understandable, as well. The scratches in the lower right obverse field look as if they are the result of a spot removal in that area. I am not certain of that, but it is my best guess. All things considered, MS60 seems reasonable to me.

I must say I am shocked that some one would feel the need to remove a spot so badly. What a shame.

With that said I am still on the fence. Defiinately leaning towards walking though. I will update my decision after the auction.

Thanks for the feed back. Especially Mark.

I am in Dallas and would be happy to view the coin for you tomorrow and report back.

Mark was kind enough to view the coin in hand today. Here are his thoughts.

Lot 8968: looks dipped and retoned, though the color is lighter and more attractive than seen in the images and there is plenty of luster present. Some might call it 58, but 60 or 61 would be understandable, as well. The scratches in the lower right obverse field look as if they are the result of a spot removal in that area. I am not certain of that, but it is my best guess. All things considered, MS60 seems reasonable to me.

I must say I am shocked that some one would feel the need to remove a spot so badly. What a shame.

With that said I am still on the fence. Defiinately leaning towards walking though. I will update my decision after the auction.

Thanks for the feed back. Especially Mark.

You're very welcome. To avoid possible confusion, my message/quote ended with "...MS60 seems reasonable to me."